Job ID 61162BR Date posted 02/15/2018 City Middletown State Connecticut CountryUS
Pratt & Whitney, a recognized leading producer of the world's most powerful jet engines, is looking for dedicated individuals to support our organization. If you would like to work in a dynamic environment and possess the motivation to reduce new ideas to practice, this may be the opportunity you've been waiting for.
Pratt & Whitney’s Compression Systems Engineering (CSE) is currently seeking talented and dedicated composites engineers with creativity, drive and a desire to see their ideas become a reality. The individuals will be part of a growing team responsible for the design and development of composite hardware to meet the ever increasing performance demands of military and commercial aircraft jet engines. Engineering positions are available in the following disciplines:
Composite Structures Engineering
The individuals will work as part of an Integrated Product Team and participate in projects aimed at creating and implementing designs that meet advanced engine-specific requirements. Specific tasks may include:
• Function as Structures Lead for composite components
• Provide analytical support for preliminary & detailed design, through development, validation, certification, manufacturing and operational service.
• Finite element modeling and analysis; calculation of ply stresses, natural frequencies, transient dynamic response, impact capability, fatigue life, and safety margins; monitoring of structural and engine tests; analysis of test results.
• Apply state-of-the-art finite element based methods to the design of jet engine components and assemblies for composite and metallic rotating and stationary structures.
• Apply nonlinear, explicit dynamics methods to accurately simulate bird strike, blade-off, containment events. Correlate results against rotating rig and full engine tests. Support FAA certification.
• Validate methods against subscale and full-scale static, dynamic and impact tests.
• Cover validation testing (engine and rig) and data-reduction.
• Support of the Next Generation Product Family, Joint Strike Fighter, and installed base of engines.
• Develop computer and simulation-based methods and processes that support engineering productivity and throughput.
• Document and present results to management and external customers.
• Coordinate with others to advance technology and improve engineering standard work processes/methods
• Mentor lesser experienced structures engineers
• Apply ACE (Achieving Competitive Excellence) tools within the Composites Organization.
The candidate must be a U.S. citizen or a Permanent Resident Alien.
Demonstrated proficiency in finite element modeling and analysis of geometrically complex components and assemblies which spans static and dynamic analysis
A demonstrated track record of success with a combination of the following is expected:
•NX, FiberSIM, TeamCenter
•ANSYS, NASTRAN, Abaqus, LS-DYNA
•Hypermesh, PATRAN, ProStar
•Mechanical properties testing, structural testing.
•Knowledge of composite design and analysis technology preferred
•Non-destructive testing methods for composites.
Education: PhD Engineering with 5 years or more of experience, or Masters Degree in Engineering with 10 years or more experience, or Bachelors Degree in engineering with 12 years or more experience
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.