tripe builds economic infrastructure for the internet. We’re moving beyond payments and “up the stack” to help our users run their businesses more effectively. Issuing is developing new APIs to empower businesses to launch physical and virtual card programs. We aim to help businesses deploy novel use cases that rely on fully programmable payment instruments.
We’re looking for a seasoned technical leader to help architect Issuing’s future foundations. As a staff engineer on Isusing, you’ll work with engineering managers, senior engineers, and cross-functional partners to design the technical underpinnings of the product. At the same time, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to get your hands dirty building key systems and expanding our card program offerings.
Issuing is one of Stripe’s biggest bets. The right technical leadership will allow us to scale faster and more reliably as our business accelerates. If that sounds exciting, we’d love to speak with you.
- Identify long-term technical challenges across a broad range of areas, from distributed systems, to batch processing and data storage services
- Lay the groundwork to scale the technology and business of new issuing business models
- Advise Stripe leadership on key technology and product roadmap considerations
- Align our technical decisions with Stripe’s broad strategic initiatives, while also advocating for needs specific to emerging new businesses
- Work with engineers across the company to understand when existing infrastructure can be leveraged vs. when building a bespoke solution is prudent
- Develop and execute against both short- and long-term roadmaps. Make effective tradeoffs that consider business priorities, user experience, and a sustainable technical foundation
- Teach and mentor both individual contributors and managers to become the next generation of leaders at Stripe. As a senior member on a new team, you will be looked to for guidance.
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You have a strong technical background, including 10+ years of experience designing and engineering large-scale systems
- You have a track record of directing technical investment in new products, allowing them to grow from fledgling efforts into thriving businesses
- You have served as the technical lead and defined the roadmap for complex projects spanning multiple teams and functions
- You measure your success in terms of business impact, not lines of code
- You internalize the best ideas from across the organization, humbly setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- You work well cross-functionally and earn trust from co-workers at all levels. You are often cited as the inspiration for engineers that join your team
- Senior engineers feel they are able to learn from you. You care deeply about mentoring and growing engineers
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different areas of expertise. Engineering works closely with a variety of teams: Sales and Support to better understand our customers’ needs, Legal and Accounting to understand how global policies influence our card issuing infrastructure, etc.