BD Life Sciences is currently seeking a Staff Engineer, Advanced Technologies to join our exciting and growing team. At BD Life Sciences you will have the opportunity to create next-generation computational tools to advance the state-of-the-art in cell analysis.
The Staff Engineer, Advanced Technologies is responsible for the design, development and documentation of software tools for Flow Cytometers and related products. Responsibilities will also include developing prototypes and products for use in the analysis of complex, high-dimensional cytometry data sets.
The successful candidate will be responsible for researching, recommending, estimating, prototyping, and/or initiating the development of products, methodologies, and technologies that will help maintain BD Biosciences as the worldwide leader in the field of flow cytometry. Additional responsibilities will include implementing new software component designs and enhancements to existing software products.
The candidate must have demonstrated experience in the design and implementation of complex data analysis algorithms, hardware-accelerated computing, as well as exhibit an understanding of single-cell biology. The ideal candidate will also have a significant track record of innovation in these areas.
The Staff Engineer, Advanced Technologies is responsible for defining, determining, and implementing technical architectures for software tools and complex systems.
The successful candidate will be regularly involved in key technical decisions alongside the most senior members of BD Biosciences’ R&D team as a member of the Advanced Technology Group, which helps define and implement the next generation of cytometry software products.
They expect to receive limited direction and are expected to help set their own goals through knowledge of the Segment and Business Unit strategy, plans, and goals.
- Invent, develop, and implement next-generation flow cytometry software tools.
- Build advanced prototype software packages to demonstrate feasibility and robustness of novel data analytics tools
- Research, recommend, estimate, prototype and initiate the development of methodologies, algorithms, and software technologies.
- Work with Manager and Key Stakeholders to establish project milestones, timelines, drive estimation and priorities.
- Implement designs for enhancements for existing software products. Recommend design direction or modifications of software system components.
- Collaborate in requirements definition and establishing software and firmware specifications.
- Present results, findings, and outcomes of work to Director-, VP-, and higher-level executives on a regular basis.
- Work closely and comfortably within a small team of highly experienced technical leaders as part of the Advanced Technology Group.
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Computational Biology, or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in computational tool development.
- Extensive experience and proven track record of innovation in high-dimensional data analysis.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with flow cytometry data
- Experience working with image cytometry data
- Experience developing Graphical User Interfaces
- Experience in the design and implementation of hardware-accelerated computing approaches.
- Experience working with software for flow cytometers or other related medical devices
Job ID R-23358