The Staff Electrical Engineer -Robotics is responsible for integration of electrical, electronic, and software systems into developments of new floor care products, including robotics and smart products.
This person will possess an advanced knowledge level of Electrical Systems Engineering experience for both hardware and software components and their integration to support new product development.
The Staff Electrical Engineer - Robotics will provide a vast array of knowledge and experience in the design, analysis and evaluation of hardware, firmware, sensors, and software in order to provide guidance and recommendations to strategic decisions related to these areas. This role will partner with internal and external contributors, both foreign and domestic in origin.
- Key role in New Product Development projects providing advanced knowledge as systems integrator of hardware and software into new devices.
- Research and maintain overall electronics architecture choices with particular foresight to future products and creating and/or staying within the overall BISSELL platform solution(s).
- Provides leadership and collaborates with internal electrical /electronics development teams as well as lead external design partners to achieve and deliver product design targets and deliver additional value to internal and external stakeholders with definition of functions and data collection.
- Utilize and demonstrate expert level proficiency in software and electronic design and development tools to architect and build specifications and requirements for hardware and software systems that can be integrated into BISSELL products as well as with the home.
- Utilize design resources to create and evaluate electrical schematics, PCBA layouts, firmware architecture, firmware code, interconnecting software, sensors, application protocols, connectivity protocols, etc.
- Work closely with BISSELL product development engineers to integrate the electrical and controls aspects of the product into the overall floor care product design.
- Work closely with BISSELL compliance engineers to obtain product approvals for electronics sub-systems, if applicable, and approvals of the overall product that have direct relevance to the electronics.
- Recommend and specify relevant test equipment and fixtures needed for electrical measurement, testing, and qualification.
- As a key stakeholder, provide input and recommendation for quality improvement and cost reduction projects involving electrical systems within robotic and smart floor care products.
- Demonstration of solid engineering fundamentals, proven verbal and written communication capabilities, organizational, and project management skills, failure mode effect analysis and/or risk analysis, in all work areas.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree minimum: Bachelor's degree
- Specific concentration: Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar. A broad understanding of microprocessors, microcontrollers, detection systems, digital electromechanical devices, embedded software architecture, circuit design, controls theory, simulation and modelling, and/or connected devices software is needed to be successful.
- Experience level: 12 + years in software, electrical, or systems engineering
- Education: Master's Degree preferred
- Embedded System Experience: Embedded microcontroller/microprocessor use and programming including ARM Cortex-M series; experience with Cortex-A series is a plus. Embedded software design concepts for bare metal or lightweight real-time operating systems. Device programming and debugging using JTAG and/or SWD. Experience in evaluation and debugging of peripheral interfaces including: I2C, SPI, UART
- Software Languages and Libraries: C/C++, Python, SLAM, IOS and Android SDKs
- Wireless Technologies: Experience in programming packet based wireless interfaces and protocols including but not limited to IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth
- Sensor Technologies: Experience in optical, acoustic, and RF sensors with ability to evaluate suitability for novel applications and automation
- Electronics Manufacturing: Experienced in high-volume electronic consumer products with respect to design-for-cost, design-for-assembly, testing, part availability, and quality process stewardship.
- Battery Technology: Broad knowledge of energy storage technologies, battery management systems, regulatory approval process, and specific knowledge in Lithium Ion battery packs.
- Motor Control Technology: Application-level experience in electronic closed-loop motor control