Oceaneering provides unique, high-tech and high-spec services and solutions to a diverse customer base in both the commercial and government sectors, including offshore oilfield, defense, aerospace, entertainment, material handling, renewable energy, and research applications.
We seek highly-motivated individuals to become an integral part of our elite engineering team. You will work on leading-edge applications in underwater robotics and automation in a dynamic, professional, fast-paced, and hands-on environment where you will stretch and expand your abilities with ample opportunities for advancement of talented people.
Our Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group, operating within Oceaneering’s Aerospace & Defense Technologies segment, designs, builds, and operates Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV), Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV), and related robotic and electromechanical systems creating solutions for operations in harsh-environments above and deep-under water.
OTECH is located at our Aerospace & Defense Technologies headquarters in Hanover, MD, close to Washington, DC, and our primary Department of Defense (DoD) customers, such as the U.S. Navy and DARPA.
We are growing our business. Prepare to grow with Oceaneering!
As a Staff Electrical Engineer (industry equivalent: Electrical Engineer 5), serve as a vital member of the Oceaneering Aerospace & Defense Technologies engineering team – an engineering center of excellence, and an exciting part of our dynamic, global enterprise. Within our Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) group, you will be responsible for performing diverse activities associated with the development and implementation of complex power and control systems for unique underwater robotic and electromechanical systems, helping solve our customers’ toughest challenges – typically for US Navy and other US Government Department of Defense customers.
Most of our projects are one-of-a-kind, which means you will never be stagnant and will always work on something new and compelling. And, by “work,” we don’t just mean “analyze and design” – most of our engineers do not simply sit behind a desk, but when the design is done choose to “get their hands dirty” assisting with building and testing their creations. At Oceaneering, we are committed to “making it work!”
Duties & Responsibilities
- As a system lead, responsible for producing significant portions of electrical and control system designs; also expected to lead, supervise, and mentor small to medium teams of electrical engineers in pursuit of associated project objectives.
- Given incomplete, high-level requirements for a complex system or subsystem, generate proper designs and work to complete tasking with latitude to make decisions under minimal supervision – individually and in a teamwork environment.
- Exercise excellent technical judgement, creativity, and initiative with attention to detail consistently throughout your work product, with attention to the “system” perspective.
- Prepare and participate in regular design reviews.
- Work closely in concert with mechanical, software, and systems engineers, as well as other cooperative disciplines, to solve problems and constructively architect a working system.
- Supervise/mentor junior engineers or technicians, as necessary.
- Responsible and accountable for your results, working with considerable autonomy, but also knowing when to ask for assistance.
- Desire to stretch and expand your talents, expertise, competency, and responsibilities.
- Bachelor of Science or advanced degree from an accredited university in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (or related field/curriculum having an Electrical concentration, such as Computer Engineering or Robotics Engineering). Commensurate experience will be considered.
- Minimum 15 years practical technical experience in the creative (Electrical) engineering process, including participation in the concept, analysis, simulation, design, drawing, assembly, integration, troubleshooting, and testing of complex electrical, electromechanical, and automated/robotic systems.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government Department of Defense Security Clearance (active clearances preferred, but not prerequisite).
- Must be a US citizen.
Preferred Qualifications: (must possess or perform most of these)
- Experience selecting and integrating varying pieces of high-tech Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) equipment to interoperate well together, including designing necessary interfaces.
- Good working knowledge and experience selecting and sizing current and latest available electrical and electronic components and wiring devices, such as signal conditioning, power supplies, control devices, switching devices, SSRs, safety devices, terminal blocks, connectors, DIN rail, wiring, cabling, marshalling, dressing, etc.
- Experience selecting and interfacing components of industrial quality embedded microprocessor, single-board computer (SBC) based control systems, including defining necessary signals, sensors, and actuators, and selecting appropriate I/O; may also require some custom electrical designs where COTS components are either inadequate or unavailable.
- Experience designing, interfacing, translating, and integrating various data communications signaling, such as Ethernet, USB, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, SPI, I2C, CAN, etc., including their associated media and protocols in high-noise potential environments.
- Experience with DC power systems design.
- Calculate and estimate system power and energy requirements.
- Experience designing, wiring, cabling, grounding for minimizing electrical noise and EMI, as appropriate.
- Good electrical drawing/drafting skills – accurately create and read detailed schematics, wiring diagrams, cable drawings, system cabling and block diagrams, etc.
- Proficiency in proper use and application of various standard electronic test equipment; e.g., VOM/multimeters, oscilloscopes, power analyzers, communications analyzers, “hipot” insulation testers, spectrum analyzers, CTDR, OTDR, optical power meters, etc.
- Proficiency with advanced Computer Aided Design (CAD), Simulation, and Analysis software packages such as Altium Designer, SPICE, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, MathCAD, MATLAB, etc.
- Proficiency with common office productivity software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, etc.
- Good written and oral communications skills, including ability to effectively document, convey, and present engineering concepts and products to team members and customers.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Experience in the marine (surface or, preferably, underwater) industry and associated technologies, including ROVs, AUVs, and related robotic and electromechanical systems; also sonar systems.
- Working knowledge of applicable industry professional, technical, and military standards (IEEE, ANSI, IEC, ISO, NEMA, NEC, MIL, etc.)