Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is looking for a Staff level Electronic Design Engineer position to create designs for Coherent’s Research Laser Systems division. This is a highly technical position, requiring a broad range of support developing next generation laser control and diagnostic electronics and software.
As part of a cross-disciplinary team, you will participate in the New Product Introduction process from the feasibility to the release to manufacturing for new laser products.
Additionally, you will participate in technical support and sustaining engineering for existing product platforms. As a key contributor to a small development team, you will work to identify the best technical solutions, leveraging existing technologies or integrating new technologies into the product portfolio.
• Lead the electrical engineering efforts for laser controller and interface products from concept to production, including design, prototyping, and manufacturing
• Assemble and debug prototypes, manage external contract manufacturers and suppliers
• Work with product development team to define features and verify performance and reliability
• Work with product team on CE certification of final product
• Manage engineering specifications, write work instructions, and maintain BOMs and CAD libraries
Education and Work Experience:
• BSEE or MSEE with 5+ years of relevant experience in digital and analog electronics design
• Experience with sensor rich microprocessor designs that include ADCs and FPGAs that control interfaces such as servo motors or optic, magnetic, or temperature sensors.
• Knowledge of switching power supplies, and power system design
• Knowledge of best practices for PCB layouts, especially with respect to EMI, ESD and signal integrity
• Experience with Agile and Altium, or equivalent BOM and CAD systems
• Basic firmware experience – able to get a PCB design working reliably from the ground up using common electrical, software or FPGA debug tools.
• Key individual technical contributor who can work well in a strong diverse and small project team
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Experience with high-speed designs and best practices
• Fundamentals of programming (C/C++ or LabView)