We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Advisor Services Production Support group is responsible for providing timely, knowledgeable, friendly enterprise-class support for a suite of products and services provided to Registered Investment Advisors (RIAs). The platforms we support are essential to the success of the investment advisor and offer features such as client relationship management, portfolio accounting, trading, data integration, reporting and much more.
What you’ll do:
This individual will be expected to support Portfolio Connect application to ensure the application meets its Availability Metrics and Service Level Agreements. This includes: Return to Service activities, Involved in on-call rotation, Build/Enhance Monitoring Dashboards, Build/Enhance Alerts, Investigating issues reported by the customers and providing solutions. The individual is also expected to contribute to Schwab’s journey to mature our DevOps processes by establishing automated recovery processes, streamlining our monitoring processes, and improving our software development practice. This position is not a full time software development; however, there will be opportunity to perform defect fixes, and enhancements.
- Provide 24x7 support for Portfolio Connect application.
- Analyze and resolve application issues in production.
- Documenting Resolutions in Schwab’s Knowledge Article System.
- Develop and enhance monitoring dashboards, and alerts process to increase availability of the application.
- Perform troubleshooting/debugging, issue triaging, and perform defect fixes, and enhancements of the application.
- Develop/Improve Production Readiness process to ensure the team is ready to support features deployed to production.
- Coordinate application maintenance activities, such has OS upgrade, Disaster Recovery exercise, etc.
- Actively participating in mentoring junior team members (Associate Level).
- Working with Team Lead (Sr. Staff level) to design and implement process improvement in our Production Services and Operations.
What you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Good judgment and the ability to handle stressful situations.
- Broad knowledge of Web technologies: languages, frameworks, techniques, industry trends, etc.
The ideal candidate will have 4–6 years or more in depth of experience in supporting a live web application, understand how applications are architected, has ability to read/understand code, and have experience in building application alerts and monitoring.
- Additional Skills:
- Experience in Providing Support of Highly Available Web Application support
- Experience in on-call rotation
- Experience with implementing System Monitoring Tools and processes
- Experience with implementing Alerts processes as a preventative measures
- Experience in troubleshooting/debugging application issues, and determine resolution with various areas, for example: IT Operations, Change Management, Availability, Network team, Server team, Product Management, etc.
- Strong skill to debug and read/understand code
- Solid understanding of application architecture: application layer, database layer, network layer
- The ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic, geographically dispersed environment
- Flexibility to support all contingencies and shifting priorities
- Accountability to work independently
- Experience in developing junior team members
- Exposed to CI/CD processes
Solid working knowledge with the following technologies is highly desirable:
- Code Repository: TFS and Bitbucket
- Application development technologies (.NET, Java)
- Application server services (.NET framework, Java, Tomcat, Spring Pivotal)
- Monitoring Tools: Splunk, AppDynamics, or Zenoss
- Web Services Technology: SOAP and REST
Additional skills that would be desirable:
- Project Management experience using RUP, Scrum, Kanban
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life