The Staff Data Engineer works on a team of Data Engineers and Administrators supporting a data platform centered around what is today a SQL Server Enterprise data warehouse. This platform holds clinical, financial, and population health data for our 6M+ patients, and serves business critical needs for our product and analytics teams. Our warehouse is central Privia's results oriented culture, having leveraged our platform to achieve industry-best revenue cycle awards and earned ongoing benefits from 1- and 2-sided risk performance.
We are looking for a candidate with hard-won expertise to take our data platform and team to the next level. This role is for the candidate who excels at understanding business problems and providing hands-on technical leadership to build scalable, high-quality solutions.
Primary Job Duties:
- Deliver value in the form of timely, high quality, performant software components and services
- Collaborate with product owners and stakeholders to plan and define requirements
- Know the business value of your work and ensure team success in meeting sprint commitments; be flexible, show initiative and develop additional skill sets to improve team capabilities and throughput.
- Apply a thorough understanding of the data, structure, and business logic to effectively solve problems
- Investigate data discrepancies and errors and determine the best resolution
- Provide guidance to the data engineering team in best practices for coding conventions, architecture, quality, scale, productivity, and best practices
- Lead and mentor other team members, both onshore and offshore, in DW best practices and development processes, including automation, validation, quality assurance, and monitoring/alerting.
- Provide expertise in building for scale, including potentially migrating data warehouse operations to a cloud service such as Google Compute Engine, Snowflake, and/or other platforms
- Advise and train members of the team to maximize overall productivity and effectiveness of the team
- Identify skills gaps and silos on the team and advocate for resolution
- Participate in and contribute to scrum meetings i.e. daily stand-up, sprint planning, and retrospectives
- 5+ years of experience with designing, architecting, and implementing commercial data warehouses and data marts, including integration with commercial BI tools (e.g. Microstrategy, SAS)
- 3+ years' experience with relevant scripting languages or programming frameworks desired (Python, Ruby, bash)
- Deep knowledge of healthcare data, especially claims data
- Strong data warehouse modeling expertise (i.e. integrated model, and star/snowflake schema data model).
- Experience migrating a SQL Server DW to a cloud provider such as AWS, Google Cloud Services and Snowflake
- Demonstrated knowledge of Unix/Linux, object-oriented programing, relational database technologies, database performance and tuning, distributed computing tech (Hadoop, spark), RESTful API
- Proven experience mentoring engineers in DW best practices and development
- Hands-on proficiency with SQL, SSIS, and ETL jobs, including stored procedures
- Hands-on proficiency in working with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services, Google Compute Engine, and Snowflake
- Experience with quality assurance and testing in a relational database environment.
- Experience designing data management processes and standards for metadata management, data architecture, data quality, and data security.
- Experience with Agile SDLC
- Ability to work collaboratively on a multi-location, cross-functional team with a wide range of experience levels
- Ability to communicate and work with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Must comply with HIPAA rules and regulations
Interpersonal Skills & Attributes:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) necessary to effectively interact with data engineering staff, product owners, and stakeholders
- Ability to establish strong, harmonious working relationships with supervisors, peers, and stakeholders to accomplish objectives.
- Able to manage competing priorities
- Experience working with a distributed team.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.