Staff Counsel assists in the provision of general legal services to The Middlesex Corporation and related companies. Under the supervision of the Vice President & General Counsel and the Corporate Counsel, Staff Counsel is primarily responsible for the day-to-day management of all insurance defense claims across multiple jurisdictions. This position requires an individual who can effectively work within a small legal department environment.
- Comply with (and actively promote) all Safety policies and procedures including reporting all accidents, incidents and near-misses to ensure adherence to our Number One Core Value – Safety first, in everything we do.
- Proactive day-to-day management of insurance defense claims from notification to closure (including intake, evaluation, investigation, prevention, and negotiation), investing the necessary level of involvement required for each claim depending on, inter alia, the nature, category, maturity, type and quantum of the claim; this position will include both direct handling of claims and the management of outside counsel/adjusters, as may be appropriate.
- Coordination of internal resources in performing investigations, responding to discovery, and mitigating and resolving claims.
- Management of third-party providers (including attorneys, brokers, insurers, and TPAs), to ensure all outstanding matters are properly valued, reserved, and managed to cost-effective results.
- Maintenance of all claim and insurance related files.
- Develop and conduct value-add training to minimize, monitor, and control the probability and/or impact of unfortunate events and to maximize opportunities.
- Meet regularly with General Counsel and Corporate Counsel.
- Perform additional assignments as required by the needs of the Company, or as otherwise directed.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school is required.
- Member in good standing of the Massachusetts Bar.
- 0 to 2 years of relevant or transferable experience in insurance defense litigation is required.
- Knowledge of the construction industry, business operations, and/or employment law is preferred.
- Dedicated and hard working.
- Self-starter with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical, decision-making and leadership skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to develop sound solutions to crisis situations.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities, deadlines, and deliverables simultaneously; collaborative and consultative work style and strong partnering skills.
- Flexible and administratively self-sufficient.