The Staff Counsel position requires 3+ years of relevant experience, excellent communication, collaborative problem-solving, and strong negotiation and drafting skills. This position will support the organization on a wide variety of matters related to its business lines, with an emphasis on client revenue agreements, and other areas on an as-needed basis. Prior in-house experience or business experience outside of the legal industry is a plus. This person will have significant interaction with business managers and outside counsel, so he/she must possess strong judgment, and be a quick, sharp, and confident team player.
- Leading legal efforts on key contract issues and advice regarding legal and operational issues including, IT security, data privacy, service level agreements, business strategy/impact and other requirements.
- Other duties as required based on business and legal needs
Specific job requirements:
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school
- 3+ years of experience at major law firm or in-house
- Outside business experience or M.B.A. are pluses
- Broad background with exposure to a variety of issues, including contract negotiation, intellectual property, technology, data privacy/security, compliance and litigation preferred
- Must possess sound character, excellent legal and business judgment, an entrepreneurial spirit; be self-assured, sharp, politic, collaborative and able/willing to learn new areas of law
- Ability to take ownership of tasks and accept accountability for results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work well with business colleagues, clients, outside counsel and opposing counsel
- Strong contract negotiation and drafting skills
- Nimble; ability to prioritize work without supervision, and manage effectively a large variety and number of matters
- Ability to provide creative, business-oriented legal advice in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Occasional travel