Location: United States - Virginia - Arlington
Industry: Telecommunications Services
Job Category: Legal - Attorney
Base Salary - $165,000 to $185,000
Full-time Benefits - Full
Relocation Assistance Available - No
Commission Compensation - No
Bonus Eligible - No
Overtime Eligible - No
Interview Travel Reimbursed - No
7+ to 10 years experience
Seniority Level - Mid-Senior
Management Experience Required - No
Minimum Education - Juris Doctor
Willingness to Travel - Occasionally
Security Clearance Required: No
Visa Candidate Considered: No
1. In-House experience with a Media Company
2. Experience with cable bills, digital deals, and new technology
3. Ability to assess risk
As a Staff Counsel for Verizon's Business & Legal Affairs team, you'll be responsible for all aspects of content acquisition and strategy for its linear, digital, and multiplatform video products for its wireline and wireless services. In addition to content acquisition, the successful candidate will play an important role in the management of the video businesses and will advise the company's employees on programming-related matters involving legal issues, as well as finance, strategy, media relations, public policy and operations concerns.
This position will be located in Arlington, VA. Other responsibilities include:
- Drafting and negotiating content licensing, cable affiliation, and retransmission consent agreements with major media companies and other content owners for broadcast, linear, VOD, interactive, TV Everywhere, and mobile video distribution rights.
- Drafting and negotiating agreements in connection with the deployment of new media technologies and other advanced television and broadband services and in support of Verizon's over-the-top and 5G offerings.
- Overseeing and ensuring compliance with the terms and conditions of Verizon's programming agreements.
- Providing contract-related support and counsel to the Verizon's content acquisition and strategy teams.
- Negotiating music public performance licenses with performing rights organizations for Verizon's video businesses.
You'll need to have:
- JD degree and six or more year of relevant work experience.
- Bar membership and needed licenses.
- Experience working on intellectual property and/or technology matters.
Even better if have:
- At least six years of experience as a practicing corporate/transactional attorney at a nationally-recognized law firm or in-house at a major corporation with solid drafting and negotiating skills.
- Experience licensing content in the cable/broadcast television, entertainment, over-the top, or digital media industries.
- Established relationships with business and legal executives at major content providers, over-the-top distributors, or digital companies.
- The ability to manage multiple fast-moving deals in a dynamic setting and to operate in a cross-functional environment is critical, as is the ability to develop key relationships and maintain a visible presence within the company and the larger video industry.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.