As a company, we constantly challenge what’s possible, never simply accepting what has always been done. We reframe old problems, seek new solutions and operate comfortably in areas that are unknown. Our backgrounds are diverse, but our team shares a love of the outdoors and a desire to protect it for future generations.
The Facility Related Control Systems team is tasked with building world class control systems for Rivian factories and workplaces. We are looking at utility control and data collection not just from a factory level, but a global level always with the goal of a net zero global footprint. You will champion the use of data, AI and machine learning to be able to drive efficiency at scale. You will seek out new uses for data, and act as a service provider to business units that can utilize system data to accelerate their mission towards carbon free operations.
We operate development centers in Plymouth, Michigan; Southern California (Irvine, Carson & LA); Silicon Valley (San Jose and Palo Alto); Vancouver, British Columbia; and Surrey, England; as well as a manufacturing facility in Normal, Illinois.
- Research new and existing platforms, hardware, and strategies used for the control and monitoring of continuous process systems such as HVAC, compressed gasses, chemical systems, and hydronics systems. This includes but is not limited to PLCs, instrumentation, variable frequency drives, smart lighting systems.
- Determine ways to take full advantage of these new technologies to design world-class automation controls standards that minimize development time, commissioning time, and unplanned downtime.
- Collaborate on specification development for capital facility equipment such as chillers, boilers, air handling and exhaust equipment, chemical systems, etc.
- Collaborate on development of P&IDs for utility systems and process equipment
- Participate on design reviews of greenfield and brownfield factory and other infrastructure projects.
- Provide input into the development of sequence of operations (SOO) documents and functional control specifications.
- Design network topology strategies that optimize the equipment for remote accessibility, diagnostics, backups, data collection, and cybersecurity.
- Help design the interfaces for interaction between the manufacturing equipment, facility equipment, and supervisory level systems such as the factories Manufacturing Execution System (MES).
- Work together with PLC and HMI development teams to integrate and develop innovative control solutions.
- Develop scopes of work and manage contractors to optimally execute their scopes.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities with key stakeholders and engineering groups.
- Continuously support construction and commissioning teams during execution activities.
- BS/MS in an Engineering field (Majors in: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Control Systems, Computer Science and Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.)
- 8+ years of experience as a hands-on Controls Engineer or Applications Engineer working on process control systems, industrial automation, and/or large scale DCS
- Proficiency with utility process, chemical process and HVAC control systems
- In depth knowledge of Electrical Standards (NFPA79, NFPA70 (NEC), UL508A, ISA Standards).
- In depth knowledge of Safety standards (ANSI/RIA15.06, OSHA).
- Exposure to a wide variety of production machinery, industrial sensors, and equipment (Level, temperature and pressure transducers, current and power meters, etc)
- Experience transitioning products and processes from concept to production