Job Role & Responsibilities
Dedicated to providing world class support for VMware's Public Sector Cloud products by putting security and compliance first, being responsive and solution oriented, and exhibiting ownership of every detail in support of operations.
The VMC on AWS GovCloud Operations team is looking for a Senior Network Engineer with experience supporting Enterprise, Federal and DoD customers to help maintain VMware’s exciting new Software Defined Data Center as a Service (SDDCaaS) fleet running from a networking perspective on AWS infrastructure. As a Sr. Cloud Networking Engineer, you will provide service insight, response, and service management to maintain high service reliability and availability with low touch through extensible services and platforms, standardized processes, data insights, and product feedback.
- Resolve technical issues through diligent research, reproduction, and troubleshooting.
- Work to resolve internal network service issues on AWS
- Work with Global Support as an escalation resource for both cloud and customer on-prem network issues.
- Mentor and deliver training to other technical staff in Network engineering and troubleshooting topics.
- Develop knowledge for your peers and customers based on as you learn, research and resolve problems.
- Work with NSX Engineering on customer reported issues, including identifying viable workarounds.
- Maintain VMC on AWS customer SDDCs and VMware supporting infrastructure
- Work closely with software engineering teams to improve and recommend features, maintainability and reliability of network services
- Identify, gather, analyze and automate responses to key performance metrics, logs, and alerts
- Ensure compliance with Federal, DoD and Commercial based security standards
- Conduct post-mortems to analyze failures and prevent recurrence
- Provide service support by participating in regular on-call shifts responding to service issues
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent industry experience
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant Network based work experience with 3+ years of technical leadership in Network engineering and/or support.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Routing (BGP, OSPF) and Forwarding (Layer-2, IPv4, IPv6, Multicast) technologies
- Familiarity with systems management concepts, processes, and standards
- Experience supporting large scale federal, commercial, or enterprise deployments.
- Hands-on experience with Linux/UNIX based operating systems including strong CLI skill set.
- Working knowledge of the general system and network troubleshooting tools (e.g. Wireshark)
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Ability to travel 10 percent of the time.
- Experience providing on-call support for high priority incidents
- Cloud Technologies
- Experience with VMWares HCX Cloud Network product is a PLUS
- Network virtualization and overlay architectures (SDN), design and implementations.
- Demonstrated experience with VMware vSphere products: i.e. vCenter, ESX, vSAN and NSX in production environments
- Experience operating, troubleshooting, and scaling online services from network perspective
- Solid understanding of networking fundamentals, distributed systems and data center architectures.
- Excellent clarity of thought and written & verbal communication skills for cross function and customer-based communications as well as internal and customer facing documentation or operational best practices with our product set.