Burns & McDonnell’s world headquarters in Kansas City, MO, is looking for a Staff Civil Designer to created 3D drawings for a variety of Oil, Gas and Chemical design projects. Burns & McDonnell is a 100% employee-owned firm ranked on FORTUNE’s List of 100 Best Companies to Work For and voted as a Best Place to Work in numerous cities across the United States.
This position offers challenging work with significant project variety at a successful, growing company within our Oil, Gas & Chemical Division. These projects encompass plant layouts for refinery ISBL, OSBL, new, and revamp facility design.
- Design civil engineering projects including site design, land development, roads, storm drainage systems, storm water management facilities, water and sanitary sewer utility design, sediment and erosion control, and facility design.
- Develop drawings for production work including problem analysis, design layout and calculations on non-routine assignments of substantial variety and complexity.
- Execute variety of civil design assignments using prescribed methods and standard techniques including drawing sequence and presentation, sizing various system components and refining rough sketches.
- Execute changes to designs or sketches and mark-ups on ongoing projects.
- Analyze reports, maps, drawings, tests, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design projects.
- Responsible for incorporating design codes and specifications related to design requirements.
- Review design drawings for quality assurance within scope, budget and schedule.
- Report volume calculations for excavation, dredging, and upland site grading.
- Review schedules, budgets and project criteria into civil design and layouts.
- Responsible for revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information storage in a logical and well-structured manner.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in drafting technology or related field and eight years applicable experience or associate's degree and ten years applicable experience or eleven years progressive detailing and design experience. Field experience is desirable.
- Expert understanding of design software such as Civil 3D, MicroStation, and InRoads to develop the design deliverables.
- Expert knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Expert knowledge in the theory and practices of civil discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others (Project Managers, Engineers and Designers) in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and attention to detail.