You will grow the team and its customer teams by promoting sound engineering practices, drive work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assess the technical state of teams, advocate for best practices broadly, and give focused support to specific teams as necessary. You will help ensure that our solutions are scalable, sustainable, architecturally sound, and that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in reasonable time. You will also be expected to mentor other engineers as they grow.
What you’ll do
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile team and within Spotify in general.
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise.
- Architect, develop, and operate Java services deployed to millions of users.
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems, creating awesome music sessions for users worldwide.
- Be a leader of the Spotify-wide backend developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company.
- Find ways to spread learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other engineers.
- Work directly with suppliers and partners to influence technical platforms and decisions.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across multiple teams within Spotify.
Who you are
- You have 8+ years of experience in software engineering.
- You have proven experience as a technical leader for a team or department.
- You have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment.
- You have experience mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices.
- You possess a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech.
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions. You are proficient in Java or Scala.
- In the past, you have solved problems that affect the larger engineering organization.
- You are passionate about developing products for hundreds of millions of consumers and platforms that are used by hundreds of business users and engineers.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise.
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow.