- Prosecutes key Club lawsuits, under the supervision of senior staff attorneys; assumes increasing litigation responsibilities including discovery management, witness handling, principal brief writing and oral argument.
- Implements strategic, programmatic legal campaigns to support the Club’s Beyond Coal and othercampaigns objectives; helps coordinate and supervise the litigation work of strategic legal campaigns; assumes primary responsibility for relationships with staff and volunteer leaders.
- Helps evaluate proposed litigation to advise national volunteer and staff leadership on the scope of Sierra Club participation in legal actions.
- Helps supervise and administer ongoing Club litigation so that Club can properly maintain and coordinate its climate- related docket; assumes primary responsibility for trouble shooting individual lawsuits.
- Helps develop and plan programmatic litigation campaigns to support the Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign objectives; assumes primary role in drafting legal components of strategic plans and reports.
- Analyzes legal cases and trends for Club management and membership.
- Serves as legal resource for Club membership; helps chapters and groups with their local energy related legal programs and objectives.
- Helps fundraise for the Environmental Law Program; establishes and cultivates individual donor relationships.
- Develops training, informational, educational, and fundraising materials for Environmental Law Program.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
Knowledge & Skills:
- J.D. degree and license to practice law, with four or more years of experience in the environmental or energy law fields.
- Excellent writing and analytic skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus‑building skills.
- Strong planning and management skills
- Solid knowledge base of energy law or environmental law.