Why E. & J. Gallo Winery?
Recently recognized by Glassdoor as one of the “Top 50 Best Places to Work”, we couldn’t be prouder of our employees. As a family-owned wine and spirits company with over 90 brands, the heart of our success story is our people. Our passions run deep and what unites us is an incredible culture of teamwork, innovation, and collaboration. Are you a passionate team player who is looking to grow your career? If so, apply today! Cheers! Your Talent & Gallo — A Perfect Pairing.
We are currently seeking a Sr Winemaker for our Courtside Winery! This position oversees the production of premium wines by driving the full spectrum winemaking processes (picking decisions through the bottling process) ensuring maximum productivity and efficiency. Functions as a technical and creative resource in wine and winemaking matters, which includes representing the winery regarding technical subjects at public and tradeevents. What You Will Do:
- Oversees wine style evolution to winemaking and corporate leaders.
- Identifies aromas and flavors in wines; recommends treatments to improve wine quality by tasting the inventory.
- Establishes winemaking processes and procedures; creates a “wine plan” that outlines quality and style objectives ensuring that winemaking operations meet expectations.
- Utilizes the current wine planning system providing direction in the cellar process management of grapes, juices and wines including chemical and ingredient additions, racks, transfers, clarification, blends, shipping and final preparation for bottling.
- Maintains product quality and addresses supply/demand fluctuations to help meet product volume goals.
- Maintains grape and bulk wine assignments in existing systems to communicate product volumes.
- Leads harvest timing and picking decisions ensuring optimum grape quality for winemaking objectives.
- Collaborates with GVI unit managers and ranch team leads to help monitor the growing season efforts while attaining cost and quality goals.
- Collaborates with directors, the Vice President of Winemaking, and the finance department to ensure that case volumes, quality and financial goals are achieved.
- Participates in the development of the annual winemaking operating and capital expense budget; responsible for adhering to approved budgets, ensuring targets are met within winemaking operations.
- Implements bottle aging strategies and release timing of all products.
- Organizes and participates in wine tasting process; attains wine flavor profiles which meet marketing needs.
- Develops wine blends and new wines in order to support short and long-term winemaking goals and objectives.
- Recommends and evaluates new products; implements production on new approved wines.
- Oversees all enological matters; ensures appropriate record keeping for legal compliance with Federal and State regulations relating to all winemaking activities.
- Investigates new requirements as necessary for wine portfolio.
- Manages quality assurance processes and procedures to reflect and enhance winemaking procedures.
- Leads and motivates the winemaking team with innovative and creative approaches; communicates winemaking goals to employees.
- Oversees barrel and cellar purchases related to specific winemaking responsibilities.
- Monitors the supply and ingredient inventory, including pre-harvest winemaking supplies, all wine additives and fining agents.
- Participates in marketing and public relations activities. Serves as lead technical spokesperson for assigned wines or brands.
- Collaborates with vineyard operations, grower relations, compliance, maintenance, finance and the winemaking staff to ensure optimum production, efficiency and quality.
- Coordinates with the operations team ensuring that all safety programs are up-to-date and maintained.
- Ensures that procedural and current best practice documents relating to the winemaking processes and procedures are developed and updated.
- Oversees the continuous improvement of process through all phases of the wine production.
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor's degree in Biological Engineering, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Enology, Viticulture, Fermentation Science, Nutritional Science, Food Science or Microbiology plus 10 years of enology, viticulture or winemaking experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
- Supervisory or managerial experience.
- Required to work extended hours during peak times of the year to ensure wine quality.
- Valid driver’s license and successful completion of background check. Required to obtain a California driver’s license or appropriate state driver’s license within 30 days of hire.
- Required to identify and articulate variances in wine color by sight and identify wine flavors by taste and smell.
- Required to be at least 21 years of age.
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution or state approved certificate.
What Will Set You Apart:
- Bachelor's degree in Fermentation Science, Enology, Viticulture, Food Science Biological Engineering, Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Microbiology plus 12years of winemaking experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
- Master’s degree.
- Knowledge of technical procedures and ability to understand and use technical documents.
- Exposure to other winemaking regions and different climatic conditions.
- Skilled in the use of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS PowerPoint and Outlook at an intermediate level.
- Experience demonstrating and applying leadership qualities.
- Skilled in communicating effectively with other wine tasters.
- Experience establishing and maintaining appropriate cross functional relationships.
- Skilled in full breadth of winemaking, operations, and winegrowing; knowledge from grape to bottle.
- Skilled in applying advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations and permutations.
- Experience with defining problems, collecting data, establishing facts, and drawing valid conclusions.
- Experience with interpreting an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and dealing with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Experience with carrying out assignments that are broad and difficult in nature, requiring originality and ingenuity.
Gallo does not sponsor for employment based visas for this position now or in the future.
Requisition ID: 49542