We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
The Wide Area Network (WAN) Engineering team builds technology solutions to support the Internet, Data Centers and Office WANnetwork of Charles Schwab & Co. This includes working with business units, subsidiaries, multiple Schwab Technology departments as well as external vendors to develop technology solutions for the Firm. The WANEngineering team will be expected to define networkinfrastructure requirements, engineer high availability solutions as well as participate in new product selection and validation. The team will actively participate in business driven projects, provide consulting services for various project teams, oversight of vendor management and contract negotiations as well as develop and adhere to lifecycle roadmaps through the purchase of software and hardware solutions. This position requires an enthusiastic, value driven, thought leader to lead and support the WANEngineering team.
What you’ll do:
The Sr. Staff WAN Engineer/Developer will work closely with the Wide Area NetworkEngineering team to build and implement the company’s next generation inter-data center dark fiber network services, Internet peering, cloud transport and office Smart WANs. The selected individual will partner with key technology and business representatives, obtaining application or service migration requirements and effectively engineeringnetwork designs from the legacy topology to new WAN designs. Additionally, the position will maintain currency and optimization of the environment, along with growth and lifecycle.
What you have:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years of experience
- ISP and/or carrier backbone engineeringexperience/knowledge
- Routing knowledge – OSPF, BGP
- QoS Knowledge and Experience
- Carrier Technologies – DWDM, Dark Fiber, MPLS, VPLS, SoNET, xDSL, Broadband Cable and Fiber, EPL, EVPL, TDM
- Optical light level measurements and tolerances
- Co-Location service and Cloud Connect knowledge
- Experience with network automation and orchestration tools/platforms
- Switching knowledge - Layer 2 expertise, spanning tree, BFD, LLDP, CDP
- Scriptinglanguages - knowledge with scriptinglanguages, such as Python, Expect and TCL
- Strong organization, documentation and communication skills; ability to effectively hand-off operational support of the new solutions to others
- Ability to gather requirements, analyze alternatives, provide cost analysis, test options, configure devices and recommend, document and communicate highly technical solutions
- Experience working in a large enterprise environment with a keen focus around security, availability, resiliency and performance
- Experience building, implementing and troubleshooting complex LAN and WANarchitectures
- Knowledge of wide-area networkarchitecture and design concepts
- CCNP/CCIE certification preferred
- Hands-on experience designing, building, testing and deploying large-scale network solutions
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life