Job Title: Sr. VP of R&D, Loop
Level: Senior Level
Position Type: Full Time
Job Location: TerraCycle - Trenton
Reports to: COO
Headquartered in Trenton, N.J. and operating in over 20 countries across the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific, TerraCycle is a global innovator in green business. It partners with many of the worlds largest consumer product companies and retailers to create collection and recycling solutions for hundreds of traditionally non-recyclable waste streams.
Since packaging and many products are made so cheaply that its not economical to collect and recycle them (thus resulting in most waste streams ending up in landfills, incinerators and oceans, TerraCycle uniquely provides brands and retailers with economic and reputation-focused incentives that justify their paying it sufficient fees to cover true costs of recycling, plus its margin. As a result, with the addition of exceptional R&D and logistics, TerraCycle is able to collect and solve for just about every waste stream, from snack wrappers and contact lenses to ocean plastics and cigarette butts, all waste streams that otherwise end up in landfills, oceans, or incinerators. TerraCycle has received hundreds of awards globally and has been highlighted in some of the worlds most recognized media outlets, including Fortune 2019 Top 10 Game Changes, Time Magazine 2019 Top 10 Innovators, major features in Bloomberg, CNN, Wall St. Journal, Reuters.com New York Times, Forbes and thousands of other stories.
In May 2019, TerraCycle launched its newest initiative, Loop, a global circular shopping system that enables brands, retailers and consumers to transition from single-use disposable materials to reusable, durable packaging, washed by Loop and refilled by the brands. Loop has engaged many of the world's largest consumer product companies (including P&G, Nestlé, Unilever, PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, and Mondlez) and many of the worlds largest retailers in this platform. Whereas TerraCycle uniquely recycles hundreds of disposable waste streams, Loop is system whereby disposability is replaced with durability.
The VP of R&D for Loop leads the R&D strategy and is responsible for all aspects of research and development including:
- Develop, organize, plan, and control the implementation (and ongoing oversight) of internal R&D and external supply chain vendors to ensure successful functionality and efficiency of new projects and packaging.
- Manage feasibility testing, validation of protocols, processes, specifications and equipment, and vendor compliance to meet health and safety standards and financial business needs.
- Qualify durable packages to support LOOPs mission.
- Manage the cleaning and sanitization process and local site environments of each cleaning facility to ensure compliance with local governments and brand sanitizing and cost objectives.
- Lead preliminary process and facility reviews to support sales, initial qualification and ongoing audits with the worlds largest brands, senior general management, and 3rd party vendors.
- Oversee internal and vendor testing of container durability and cleaning methodizes to meet economic strategy of LOOP and brands with a continuous improvement path to meet year over year cost objectives.
- Assist in the vendor audit process to ensure proper process, pre-cleaning, cleaning, sanitizing, post sanitizing safe storage and return to manufacturing sites.
- Oversee the departments budget, personnel and critical budget requirements.
- Develop continuous efficiency plans by way of design, selection, and implementation of equipment and chemicals to drive cost reduction goals and cleaning effectiveness.
- Represent the company with key customers as requested by sales or marketing, outside vendors, suppliers, governmental agencies and senior leadership.
- Crafts reports and regular updates, providing concise summaries of project work. Present project results and recommendations to leadership, customers and external groups.
- Coach and build team capabilities in creativity, new product and category development.
- Provide guidance and day-to-day supervision to members on project teams; mentor associates within the R&D department by sharing technical knowledge and expertise and providing necessary training.
- Minimum 10 years experience in progressive senior management and sanitization of containers
- Bachelors degree in Food Science or Engineering, Post-Grad degree preferred
- Excellence in analytical and physical testing methodologies within the beverage, food, snack and personal care industries
- Proven history of technological innovation to assure industry leading excellence in product
- Industry experience in Food, Drug, and HBA with strong understanding of best practices and world class manufacturing expectations for cleaning and sanitizing containers
- Comfort with chemicals and washing standard operating procedures (cGMPs), CFRs and other global government regulations
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem-solving, and prioritization skills
- Timeline-driven with a strong sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong communication skills to manage global team, diverse stakeholders and cross-functional collaboration across all levels
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Health insurance (with subsidized medical plan)
- Generous holiday PTO policies
Start date ASAP