Sr. Vice President- Design, Construction & Project Management
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with an unrelenting passion for excellence. While his achievements in aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investments in real estate that form the foundation of our company. With passion, determination and limitless imagination, he built one of the great American empires of the 20th century. At Howard Hughes, we live by our purpose to help people discover new ways of experiencing life - because it’s not just buildings and places that matter, it’s what you do with them that can change the way people live.
We aspire to be the most creatively driven real estate company in the world and we believe in fostering a culture that is built to last by cultivating curiosity and empowering every employee to find their story in this great organization.
Reporting to the EVP, Design & Construction Management and Regional President of Hawaii, the Senior Vice President of Design and Construction Management (SVP, DCM) provides leadership and oversight for the day-to-day operations for all Design, Construction, Project Management and Project Administration activities and personnel associated with the development of condominiums, lifestyle centers and urban, mixed-use development projects for the 60 acre campus of Ward Village, Hawaii. The Sr. Vice President must be able to perform hands-on management of project planning, design and construction in a fast-paced environment and oversee the project management team. The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the ability to prioritize multiple tasks and demands, as well as supervise a highly skilled team of out-of-house construction managers, design professionals and consultants. Responsibilities further consist of managing various sizes and volumes of projects from pre-construction planning through build out and space occupancy phases including project closeout with financial reconciliation.
The Sr. Vice President must also have the experience and ability to lead a large scale, ground-up development and construction projects from inception through construction and final move-in. A minimum of twenty years of construction or design experience managing projects. He/she must have executive leadership ability to work across the entire company and facilitate cross-functional coordination.
This individual will serve as the primary stakeholder for the region and the single point of contact for coordinating design and construction responsibilities with third party consultants, contractors, vendors and government agencies. This individual will act as a liaison between internal cross-functional technical teams and corporate leadership team. In addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the region, the Sr. Vice President is primarily responsible for overseeing and maintaining project cost analysis, budget and construction schedules with forecasting and analysis of issues that may impact the department’s goals and objectives.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review, analyze and challenge CM’s preliminary construction budgets and schedules.
- Participate and lead all project consultation meetings.
- Create RFP’s for consultant and sub-consultant selection, as well as negotiate the scope and business terms of the agreement.
- Work with the design team to achieve timely completion of coordinated documents that meet the respective design milestone parameters for each stage of the design.
- Review all phases of the Construction Documents (“CDs”) for completeness, compliance with design milestone requirements and constructability assumptions.
- Evaluate CM, subcontractor and third party construction cost estimates.
- Assist in tracking LEED Certification requirements.
- Evaluate and manage procurement of long lead items in accordance with the CM schedule.
- Review CM’s site logistics and overall construction sequencing and planning in regards to cost, schedule, regulatory and safety factors (in order to identify and mitigate adverse impact on the site and surrounding uses).
- Write monthly construction status reports to be used by the President of the region and EVP, Design and Construction Management for executive reporting purposes.
- Work closely with the Legal team to develop scopes and negotiate business terms for all CM and design consultant agreements.
- Coordinate vertical development projects with the development team in accordance with the master planned community guidelines
- Work with the CM, design consultants and trade subcontractors to finalize unresolved design issues.
- Review, analyze and challenge CM’s detailed construction budgets and schedules.
- Review CM’s site logistics and overall construction sequencing and planning in regards to cost and schedule.
- Manage the selection and procurement of necessary third party consultant services for surveying, special inspections, materials and soils testing, etc. Assist in negotiating the terms and conditions of all resulting agreements and assemble contracts with the Legal team, as required.
- Attend and ensure all owner, architect, and/or contractor meetings are documented properly.
- Ensure utilization of corporate PMIS systems for construction document control of RFIs, ASIs, CCDs, design clarifications, material submittals, change orders, Certificates of Insurance, etc. Ensure timely processing and response for all time sensitive project documentation.
- Monitor, and where necessary, assist in the coordination of on-site activity – including, but not limited to: demolition, utilities installation, general site work, temporary installations and power, vertical construction, exterior and interior renovations and finish work, telecom and/or data coordination, MEP and technology systems commissioning, OFCI installation, FF&E installation and punch list corrections.
- Monitor progress relative to the CM’s CPM Project Schedule. Review monthly updates to ensure coherent sequencing and/or logic, and compliance with contractual milestone requirements. Where necessary, obtain recovery schedules – including sequence and/or logic modifications, to address areas of critical path impact. Proactively identify and mitigate areas of potential owner, CM, and/or subcontractor caused impact.
- Schedule and coordinate all third party inspections required as the Owner’s responsibility
- Closely monitor CM’s QC/QA programs to ensure the execution of the Work is in compliance with project quality standards, as well as regulatory and contract requirements.
- On Residential projects, work with the CM to ensure completion of an early model unit in the Sales Center, and as otherwise needed, to establish Project quality standards.
- Review and make payment recommendations on all consultant and CM payment applications and/or invoices. Periodically, update cash flow projections and forecasts based on actual construction progress.
- Review CM change order requests for both entitlement and pricing. Assist in negotiating final CO amounts.
- Construct and maintain a Budget Status and Forecasting Reports, therein tracking the status of all contracts and P.O.s – including committed and open costs.
- Monitor and update the Project FF&E budget. Coordinate procurement, consolidation, shipment, delivery and installation of Project FF&E.
- Assemble monthly project reports with the regional teams – including the following components:
- Executive Summary
- Budget Status and/or Forecast
- Contingency Risk Analysis
- Opportunities and Risks Summary
- Project Schedule Status
- Construction Progress Photos
- Review and monitor team’s RFI submissions, and ensure prompt consultant turnaround of responses.
- Oversee team to manage CM submittals to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and overall contract requirements.
- Review proposed substitutions and/or value engineering to ensure that the implementation of such proposals does not adversely affect the Project’s quality standards.
- Manage required Operations staff training, systems commissioning and turnover of the Property to Operations.
- Oversee management of Owner Services team which handles buyer punch list walks, move-in and first year warranty issues.
- Manage the closeout of the Project – including final resolution of all punch list work, finalize outstanding contract change orders, obtain final lien releases, review O&M/warranty documentation with Operations and process disbursement of retained funds.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum twenty (20) years of construction project management experience.
- Experience leading large scale mixed-use, residential, hotel, retail, and/or office high-rise construction projects.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and experience in managing a team of technical staff and interdepartmental executives.
- Strong relationship development skills to build trust within the local contracting base and public officials.
- Must be proficient in understanding design development, construction documents and MEP engineering specifications.
- Capable of managing large complex construction projects.
- Must have in-depth understanding and knowledge of industry standard construction process – including scheduling, standard cost estimating tools, building materials, construction methodologies and Agency approvals processes.
- Must have the ability to work in a team environment while leading the Project team from conceptual design through completion of multiple projects.
- Passionate, entrepreneurial and dedicated to success.