This position will work with current HOK Planning and Gulf Coast Region office leadership to build the planning/urban design practice in Houston. Through leadership in design, business development, project delivery and other areas connected with the profitable operation of the practice, enhance the reputation of HOK Gulf Coast Region and of the Planning Group through thought leadership and design excellence. Independently lead the design of projects for a wide variety of clients consistent with the goals of the Planning Group and the Gulf Coast Region. Help elevate the suite of services offered by HOK through integration with the rest of the practice.
- Lead and direct project design efforts within a collaborative team structure, and contribute to the development of concepts for planning and urban design projects of all types and scales.
- Oversee the design delivery process, including overseeing support / production staff.
- Continue and enhance high standards of design and performance for the planning/urban design studio and demonstrate them through action.
- Recruit, mentor and build a staff of accomplished planning and urban design professionals consistent with revenue growth.
- Serve as the local thought leader for planning/urban design both externally and internally.
Project and Design Leadership
- Provide conceptual direction for major engagements at the proposal stage, and continued design leadership throughout project development.
- Develop strategies for implementing projects awarded to the planning/urban design group.
- Organize the staff assigned to selected projects by providing direction, monitoring, and day-to day guidance.
- Participate in project design development and provide guidance as needed to project teams.
- Foster an environment of design exploration and innovation in order to achieve excellence in project work and as a group.
- Leverage opportunities for follow-on services.
- Ensure that every project contributes to the overall profitability of the firm.
- Capitalize on opportunities to enhance clients’ experience beyond their expectations.
- Perform as the key liaison between local clients and HOK’s planning/urban design leadership, as well as the leadership of the individual office.
- Communicate design solutions to clients in a clear and compelling way.
- Proactively seek information about client requirements and demonstrate how they are interpreted in design solutions.
- Continue to nurture existing client relationships and expand the practice through the acquisition of new clients including:
- Identifying new client priorities and pursuing opportunities with them
- Extending existing relationships
- Making presentations
- Working with office and planning leadership to establish strategy and respond to opportunities
- Participating in proposal preparation
- Participating in indirect marketing initiatives (e.g. workshops, roundtables, lectures, articles, panels, etc.) which enhance the group and the office as a whole
- Proficiency in AutoCAD.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite and Sketch-Up graphic software preferred.
- Proficiency in BIM, Revit preferred.
- Proficiency in NewForma preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- 15+ years of professional architecture/urban design/planning experience.
- Degree in Architecture, planning, landscape architecture and/or Urban Design. Masters or multiple Degrees desirable.
- License to practice in Architecture, Landscape Architecture and/or Certified Planner preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with regulatory agencies in the New York metropolitan area.
- A thorough knowledge of the theory and practice of urban design and planning.
- Strong project design skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking, graphic presentation and writing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex projects teams and maintain client relationships.
- Experience with large scale projects including higher education, institutional planning, mixed use, urban design and new community planning. (should we mention private sector – development community).
- Experience and/or expertise in sustainable design practices; LEED certification preferred.
- Demonstrated experience attracting new planning clients and expanding relationships with existing clients.