Tesla – Sr. Technical Program Manager
Tesla’s Energy Engineering group is looking for a highly motivated individual to program manage new design engineering projects for its energy products portfolio. This is a cross-functional role that requires coordination between many different groups within and outside of Tesla.
You will interface with design engineering, manufacturing engineering, compliance, system test, reliability, supply chain and operations to define and drive development of new product programs while also managing change on existing programs.
You will be immersed in the design engineering process and will shepherd projects from concept through to prototype validation and then production ramp. You will use your engineering background to understand the product requirements, technical risks and the validation strategy to accelerate the development process. You will communicate and present project status, highlight schedulerisk, and develop recovery plans in the event of project slip.
As a senior program manager you would be expected to operate with a high degree of autonomy on your programs while contributing to the development of tools and processes that improve the organization’s productivity.
You will be based at our Palo Alto HQ with the expectation of some travel to our Gigafactory 1 production facility in Reno, Nevada as program needs dictate.
- Work with Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Reliability, Test, Supply Chain, Manufacturing Program Management and othersupporting functions in order to identify and scope projects for key Solar Roof subsystems.
- Create, maintain, communicate, and present schedules for design engineering projects to the engineering leadership team.
- Prioritize the engineering team project work based on risk, resources and payback.
- Identify creative ways to overcome obstacles and meet the schedule despite setbacks.
- Advise on best practices for documenting changes to new and existing products.
- Define processes that will improve risk and change management.
- Monitor cost impact of changes.
- Develop tools to automate various reporting or planning functions for the Technical Programs Management Team.
- 4-5years of experience in an engineering environment with responsibility for implementing or managing change.
- Demonstrated experience in the management of engineering projects for mass produced products required.
- Demonstrated understanding of the design cycle.
- Demonstrated experience creating, maintaining and communicating schedules.
- Demonstrated understanding of multilevel Bill of Material hierarchy, including hardware and software components.
- Demonstrated understanding of product release cycle as it relates to the creation and change management of parts and BOM structures.
- Detail oriented with strong record-keeping and organizational skills.
- Skills with common workplace software (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation software etc) with the ability to create and maintain metrics.
- Ability to work cross functionally with engineering, production, and supply chain personnel.
- BS in an engineering discipline.