The Product Engineer is responsible for ensuring Type- 30® products meet the customer needs and the desired business returns. The Product Engineer adds value internally by sharing customer and product information with the organization, particularly our Operations, ensuring that the products we make meet the customers' requirements. The Product Engineer owns and maintains all product specifications and holds manufacturing operations accountable for any deviation. Furthermore, he/she assures all business decisions consider the customer Fitness for Use. The Product Engineer understands critical customers' business by building broad and deep relationships with key stakeholders and building a complete understanding of our customers’ processes. He/she is accountable for driving productivity programs with our customers, and adding value to customers through our product offerings, technical support, and information sharing to improve their profitability without reducing price. The Product Engineer is required to create a strong regional product platform to assure complete flexibility by plant and by product to meet our customer needs. The Product Engineer is a critical leadership position reporting directly to the T30/ Fabrics Platform Leader within the Customer Technical Support Organization. He/ She will collaborate with the S&T Process and Product Innovation, Marketing Product Managers, Commercial Business Team and Plant Operations. He/she will lead the Local Product Team (LPT) ensure this collaboration.
Reports to: Technical Product Leader
Demonstrates a commitment to safety
- Believes that all accidents are preventable
- Attends all monthly safety meetings / or review
- Participates in regular safety meetings
- Ensures rigorous compliance to standard safety procedures and OC corporate policies
- Working safely is a condition of employment at Owens Corning
Specific Job responsibilities include:
- Leads the cross functional Local Product Team which, at a minimum, includes the Plant Process Engineer/Technician, Process Engineer, Area Sales Manager, Supply Chain representative, and any other function required to ensure customer satisfaction and OC profitability.
- Ensures OC products are best-in-class.
- Manages and directs the CTSO activity specific to process and product trials
- Drives productivity programs with his/her customers.
- Routinely has robust interactions with Product Developers and facilitates meetings between customer technical personnel and operational personnel to manage the technical relationship between OC and our strategic customers.
- Establishes good contacts with key players in the industry.
- Works with internal and external testing organizations.
- Knows who is who within the industry, good knowledge of supply chain, technologies, industry trends/drivers.
- Serves as the voice of the customer within our production facilities.
- Be the key technical person on product development projects in Phase 4 (Industrialization) of the stage gate process to oversee the product qualification process at customers and final commercial implementation.
- Implements the product line strategy at the local level as defined by the Market Product Managers.
- Works with the Planning and Business Teams for all product transfers into/out of North America.
- Participation in relevant technical organizations and standards committees
- BS EngineeringDegree
- 5 to 10 years of experience in operations, demonstrated success leading projects, or application development initiatives in an industrial manufacturing setting
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of OC / fiberglass manufacturing processes desired.
- Project management
- Six Sigma Certification desired
- Minitab Statistically Analysis
- DOE (Design of Experiments)
- Knowledge of composite processing methods and associated cost modeling
- Understanding of both thermoplastics and thermosets desired.
- Understanding of fabrics construction and laminate design desired.