The Sr. Tax Accountant is responsible for assisting the Tax Compliance Manager in the preparation of all federal and state income tax returns, ensuring accurate and timely reporting for the corporate, family office entities and shareholders. The Sr. Tax Accountant will also be responsible for the completion of all non-income tax related compliance tasks currently assigned to the Family Office Tax Department.
- Maintain the fixed asset data on the software system used to calculate federal, AMT and state depreciation for all entities. This includes determining the class lives, depreciation method, averaging convention and any special depreciation allowance.
- Prepare federal and multi-state corporate, partnership, S corporation, trust and individual returns.
- Prepare the necessary supporting schedules for the preparation of the federal and state income tax returns for review by the Tax Compliance Manager.
- Determine book to tax differences for entity and trust returns.
- Compile reports/returns for the commercial personal property tax returns and sales/use taxes.
- File business license/registration renewal applications.
- Determine the required estimated tax payments for federal and state taxes and submit electronic payments to the taxing authorities.
- File for tax return extensions, as appropriate.
- Analyze general ledger to prepare Form 1099s.
- Maintain the software system that tracks the compliance list of all federal and state returns, regulatory reports and estimated payment requirements by entity.
- Assist in gathering supporting schedules necessary to respond to tax notices or to file appeals to taxing authorities for any audit assessments.
- Assist in the preparation of other tax/governmental reports.
- Assist in the response to information requests/questions from third party tax preparers.
- Research answers to tax issues that arise.
- Investigate and resolve discrepancies.
- Recommend changes to established policies and procedures to the Tax Compliance Manager for review.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent organizational, motivational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proactive, thorough and detail oriented.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills required.
- Comprehension of GAAP rules and regulations.
- Thorough understanding of federal and state tax rules and regulations.
- Solid foundation in the preparation of various types of federal and state tax returns, including corporate, partnership, S corporation, trusts and individuals.
- PC-related skills (Microsoft Office and other standard office software applications, Great Plains or related accounting software applications, tax related software applications) required.
Education & Work Experience:
- B. A. or B. S. Degree from an accredited four-year college or university required with a course concentration in Accounting/Tax highly preferred. CPA/public accounting background is preferred but not required.
- 3 or more years of related experience.
$80K - $110K
$80K - $110K base, Bonus Eligible, Medical, Dental, Vision, and Voluntary Benefits bonus