Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in speciality glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Work on projects throughout Corning Inc. as a Technical and Systems Lead, developing state of the art measurement and automation systems for process development, product attribute understanding, and Quality architectureinspection. Typical projects involve research, development and application of new and innovative technological approaches to a wide array of materials, product, and process measurements needs. This role requires a broad skill set integrating mechanical, physics, electrical, and software engineering disciplines. The candidate will be responsible for integration of complex systems including those based on Imaging and Machine Vision, Optics, Automation, Thermal sensing, Ultrasonics, Non-Destructive Analysis, Microscopy and others.
- Meet with stakeholders to develop system requirements, establish design constraints, and set priorities
- Lead brainstorming and other ideation activities related to system engineering and measurement technologies
- Develop fundamental understanding for new mechanical, electrical, and measurement system approaches using the public domain, modeling and CAD tools, and lab experiments
- Design and execute lab experiments to evaluate novel measurement technologies based on optical, electrical, and other contrast mechanisms
- Design and build lab-scale instrumentation as proof-of-concept prototypes for inspection challenges
- Act as technical Subject Matter Expert in cross-functional team dedicated to developing novel instrumentation
- Communicate testing results and project progress to team members, stakeholders, and leadership
- Integrate new systems and new technologies into Development and Manufacturing lines
- Transfer new technologies to equipment and process receivers, provide remote system support, and develop system documentation
- Capture intellectual property in the form of Invention Disclosures, Research Reports, and Patent Applications
Travel Requirements: Some domestic and international travel, based on project requirements: up to 25%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40+ hours per week, additional hours as required by project.
Required Education: MS or PhD in ElectricalEngineering, Physics, or relevant field.
Required Years of Experience:5 years’ experience minimum.
- Strong technical expertise in Optics, Machine Vision, ElectricalEngineering, or Systems Engineering.
- Expertise with broad range of optical and non-optical-based sensors and technologies (including cameras, laser sensors, ultrasonics, vibrometers, and interferometers)
- Expertise in data analysis, including visualization of complex sets, classification and correlation analysis using SVM or MLP, regression analysis, and other statistical methods
- Ability to manage, prioritize, and execute multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a diverse technical and non-technical audience, including non-native English speakers.
- Ability to work effectively in a small team: be cooperative, flexible, and respectful, communicate constructively, show commitment, and work toward a common goal.
- Deep understanding of statistical methods: measurement system analysis, design of experiment, error analysis, etc.
- Experience with Manufacturing Engineering Excellence, Process Excellence, Reliability testing, and other approaches for framing challenging problems
- Project management training and expertise
- Experience with designing and executing Measurement System Analyses (MSAs)
- Expertise with SolidWorks or other CAD drawing package
- Expertise with Zemax, Code V, or other optical design package
- Expertise with PLC system design and deployment
- Expertise with Halcon, MIL, or other Machine Vision toolset
- Expertise with LabView, Simulink, MatLab, or other system prototyping and data analysis software
- Expertise in ergonomic design considerations including GUI layout and workstation optimization
- Experience with Adept, Aerotech, Delta Tau, or other motion control software
- Experience with VB.Net or C# programming languages
- Experience leveraging external suppliers and system integrators to design, build, and install system components or full systems in manufacturing environment
- Excellent presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Independence and the ability to apply critical thinking to complete challenging problems
- Ability to build professional relationships in a cooperative, collegial, and multi-cultural environment
- Be effective in working across diverse functional groups including research, engineering, operations, and maintenance and in a heavily matrixed environment
- Customer-focused, forward looking
- Technical curiosity and eagerness to apply an energetic, positive approach to working on challenging problems
- Graciously provides and receives constructive feedback
Req #: 3881