We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Sr.Systems Engineer to join our growing and dynamic team. In this position you will be responsible for the effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure (both onsite and cloud). A successful candidate will analyze the current state of our systems environment and provide insight into opportunities for new and improved user experiences. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, partners and clients.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the initiation and planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of requirements, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
This individual is accountable for systems that support Questar infrastructure, and systems that support both corporate and online environments. The majority of systems are Windows based, with Linux used in specific areas. Responsibilities for these systems include: administration, engineering, provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaborate with vendors, Tech Team, and other teams to support new application launches and help triage production issues at Questar.
- Engineering of Systems Administration related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Provide tools and support for a full stack of product environments (Dev, QA, Stg and Prod).
- Ability to decipher and edit server configuration variables to improve performance of core applications.
- Follow and update release management and change management process and programs.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Identify approaches that efficiently use our staff and provide economies of scale.
- Assist in managing company asset and software licensing inventory, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various users. Investigate and troubleshoot issues concerning day to day support and operation of corporate technology devices, applications and processes and users contained within or connected to the Questar Network.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted users.
- Update ticket tracking and problem management systems (Jira).
- Participate in a rotating 24x7 on-call rotation.
- Mentor less experienced staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or similar discipline or equivalent work experience.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- 8+ years of system administration, preferably in an online environment
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple planned and unplanned projects.
- Working knowledge of a range of infrastructure support tools including: Virtualization software (VMware vSphere), Microsoft Active Directory, MS Exchange, SharePoint Administration, IIS Administration, Symantec Backup Exec, PURE storage, PowerShell, Microsoft SCCM.
- Ability to support both Windows and Linux server platforms.
- Experience with large-scale high availability applications, including failover testing, disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
- Able to serve as a mentor within a team and motivate individuals to meet requirements (deadlines, productivity goals, etc.) without compromising on the user-centered design of the experience.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades and resource optimization as required.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis and upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
- Configure/Add new services as necessary.
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Evaluate and configure the infrastructure for efficient design, structure, caching, number of connections and other factors affecting performance.
- Network administration skills including TCP/IP, DNS, VPN, DHCP.
- Centralized Anti-virus and Malware administration and support.
- Familiarity with common database server technologies, such as MS SQL Server and PostgreSQL.
- Some exposure with Public Cloud technologies such as AWS and/or Azure.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship now or in the future.