Sr. Systems Engineer (P5) - Missile Defense Integrated Discrimination Decision Logic
- The Missile Defense National Team (MDNT) provides systems engineering solutions to the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) for the development and evolution of the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS).
- The BMDS is an integrated, layered architecture that provides multiple opportunities to destroy missiles and their warheads before they can reach their targets.
- The Integrated Discrimination Team (IDT) is a product team that performs systems analyses of the existing BMDS architecture in conjunction with new technologies and concepts to be considered for future BMDS architectures.
- The Integrated Discrimination Decision Logic (IDDL) team is a sub-team of IDT and performs analyses using varied fidelity models and simulations to predict performance against evolving threats of current and future sensors, weapons, and counter-countermeasure concepts.
- In addition, IDDL evaluates decision logic and prototypes various scenarios and architectures to optimize overall system performance in a framework giving insight into performance improvements that may be employed by MDA.
- IDT works closely with the MDA, FFRDCs, along with various contractors and suppliers to bring about conceptual improvements, models & simulations to help define system improvements, new requirements, and perform architecturetrade studies to help assess performance benefits of future systems.
- Besides these areas of focus, we also are building models to assess impacts to electronic attack and employment of electronic protection technology.
- We have subject matter experts spanning specialties in Radar, high energy weapons, Electro-Optical/infrared (EO/IR), pattern recognition, remote sensing, modeling & simulation (M&S), tracking, sensor and data fusion, imaging, statistical methods, missile technology, interceptors & kill-vehicles, battle management, concept development, and test.
- If you are a quick learner, adapt well to change, can work independently and effectively in teams, have excellent communication skills, and have experience leading teams of engineers/analysts/mathematicians/scientists/technologists then this may be your opportunity to lead a dynamic team of highly talented personnel working on novel concepts and inventive solutions to complex, real-world challenges.
Boeing is the world's largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and defense, space and security systems. We are engineers and technicians. Skilled scientists and thinkers. Bold innovators and dreamers. Join us, and you can build something better for yourself, for our customers and for the world.
Space and Missile Systems
Relocation Assistance Available
Yes. Available for eligible candidates, if authorized.
Basic Qualifications (Required):
- This position requires an active Top Secret U.S. Security Clearance. (A U.S. Security Clearance that has been active in the past 24 months is considered active.)
- The successful applicant must be able to lead a team of multi-discipline engineers/scientists/technologists/mathematicians from an industry partnership on the MDNT including day-to-day execution and long lead strategic vision for satisfying team products and customer objectives.
- Applicant must have a proven track-record of leading small teams and demonstrated sound engineering judgment applied in the development of products.
- Individual requires sufficient engineering background to provide interactive and technical oversight of team that: (1) prototypes architecture solutions; (2) develops requiredtechnologies lists and evaluates these new technological approaches; and (3) innovates methods and techniques to improve discrimination and counteract or mitigate new threats.
- Individual must have knowledge of or experience in: (A) Planning and supporting complex system Modeling & Simulation (M&S) generation of system performance data and associated analysis; (B) Participate in engineering technical peer reviews, design reviews, and related activities; (C) Develop risk mitigation plans for presentation to management and customers; and (D) Briefing customer and senior management on progress, forecast, alternatives, plans, and issues.
- Some experience analyzing BMDS and leading analysis teams is necessary.
- Individual must possess good communication skills and expect to interact with customers, suppliers and subject matter experts frequently.
- Capable of working both independently and in a team environment.
- Demonstrated discrimination experienceassociated with BMDS or similar experience translatable to discrimination between target sets, especially with radar or EO/IR systems.
- A good grasp if not direct experience in target tracking, especially multiple targets with multiple sensors along with fusion of sensor data is desirable.
- Experience in some or all of Ballistic missile defense system, Aegis Weapons Systems, Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD), Fire Control (FOM, GFC), C2BMC, BMDS sensors (EO/IR/RF), kill vehicles, interceptors, countermeasures, counter-countermeasures, or threats.
- Systems engineeringexperience with large, complex systems.
- Demonstrated innovative problem solving.
- Knowledge of system engineering processes for the development of system performance requirements, objectives, and performance evaluation criteria, are all helpful.
- A background in random processes, statistical analyses, machine learning, neural networks, image processing, and/or pattern recognition are desirable.
- Experience evaluating future technologies, performing analysis of alternatives, assessing technology readiness are pluses.
- Experience with Boeing EVMS or similar Earned Value Management System, planning work packages, managing cost/schedule and reporting variances is desired.
This position requires candidate acceptance by industry partner resource control board.
Typical Education/Experience: Level 5:
Degree and typical experience in engineering classification: Bachelor's 14 or more years' experience, Master's with 12 or more years' experience or PhD with 9 or more years' experience. Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry. ABET is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
Job ID 1700014455