HomeAway, based in Austin, Texas, is the world leader in vacation rentals with more than 2 million unique places to stay in 190 countries, and is a part of the Expedia, Inc. family of brands.
HomeAway offers an extensive selection of vacation rental homes that provide travelers with memorable experiences and benefits, especially more room to relax, for less than the cost of traditional hotel accommodations. The company also makes it easy for vacation rental owners and property managers to advertise their properties and manage bookings online.
In this role, you'll be a senior member of the Technical Operations team. TechOps is part of the Hosting Operations org we're responsible for all levels of Linux admin, Java application support, hosting tools support, and collaborating with various teams on special projects. These activities generally involve the full lifecycle; sizing, provisioning, analysis/debug, compliance, and decommissioning. TechOps' primary customer is Development and we've worked hard over the years to foster a strong/positive relationship. We're known for having just the right level of process and people have a significant influence on their own destiny. Our datacenters are both terrestrial and cloud-based and while this role will primarily focus on the former, that focus will shift more to the latter over time. As a team member, you won't be in the on-call rotation but your experience will occasionally be required after-hours; for special projects and challenging incidents.
Additionally, you'll have an opportunity to mentor others, sharing your specific experiences and guiding on best practices. Members of the TechOps team value a diversity of experience, skills, and approach. Success within this team requires initiative, intellectual curiosity, passion, and humility. We're flexible on work schedules and we make time for heads-down / interrupted work.
- Automate various processes and policies, working with partners to reach consensus on solutions, provide status, and accomplish related goals in a timely manner
- Manage and support various applications, systems and services across Test, Stage, and Production environments; this includes both internal and external customer functions
- Assess non-standard requests from our internal customers; validating their initial requirements, providing related guidance, and identifying an appropriate resource to fulfill the request
- Provide guidance to our tactical support team when they have questions or need assistance with a project or task
- Create and update documentation for related tools and processes
- This is not an on-call role but as a senior member of the team, you are expected to be available on an occasional basis; for planned maintenance or the occasional emergency that requires a deeper level of knowledge
- Advanced level of experience installing, configuring, tuning, and supporting servers running CentOS; experience with Ubuntu is highly desirable
- Advanced level of experience with Bash (or other core Unix shell)
- Intermediate-to-advanced level of experience with Python, Ruby, and/or Go
- Intermediate-to-advanced level of experience with at least one infrastructure-as-code solutions such as Puppet or Terraform
- Proven history of automating common tasks in a manner that can be used and improved by others
- Hands-on experience as a Linux administrator in a large hosting environment (hundreds to thousands of hosts)
- Experience with core shared services such as DNS, virtualization, load balancing, OS and artifact repositories, and monitoring
- Experience working with CI/CD pipelines is highly desirable
- Experience with AWS is a plus- Initiative to self-start and take ownership and responsibility to work issues to completion
- Organized, consistent and calm under pressure
- Competitive health and insurance benefits.
- Competitive salary.
- Annual target bonus or commission.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Vacation rental on a yearly basis (taxable benefit).
- Employee Stock Purchase Program.
- Free snacks and beverages.
- Frequent company update talks with our leadership team.
- Free listing on HomeAway.com
- Electronic, adjustable stand-up desk.
- Discounted Metro & Rail pass.
“We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.”