The System Engineer designs, installs, configures, implements and supports all aspects of infrastructure environments, providing technical guidance and oversight and acting as a point of escalation and technical support.
Vision and Direction
- Develops, documents, communicates, and enforces systems standards, policies, and procedures for standardizing systems assets.
Design and Builds
- Participates in infrastructure architecture reviews.
- Participates in infrastructure technology/service evaluations.
- Performs detailed designs of new or changing infrastructure environments.
- Installs, configures, maintains, and replaces new equipment (e.g. servers, storage, middleware, load balancing).
- Conducts multiple levels of testing prior to release of new and upgrades systems, products or services.
- Evaluates and designs new solutions utilizing existing standards and new technologies.
- Develops roadmaps to guide infrastructure strategy
Availability & Operating Level Management
- Performs root cause analysis, resolves problems and recommends solutions.
- Establishes guidelines and standards for capacity management review and establishes standards for network and telecom systems operations.
- Monitors and plans capacity of all hosting environments to plan for future growth.
- Analyzes system performance and provides preventative maintenance while providing maximum availability of physical and virtual servers (e.g. new software releases, upgrades, evaluation and installation of patches).
- Works towards providing a fully redundant high availability infrastructure at all times.
- Develops best practices used to maintain and administer hosting environments.
- Performs warranty tracking and maintenance.
- Ensures that backup and recovery plans are tested regularly and backup and recovery procedures are implemented.
- Performs business continuity and disaster recovery testing.
- Develops automation scripts and programs to streamline manual operations and reduce manpower requirement in maintenance and monitoring activities.
- Performs troubleshooting and issue resolution and escalate issues to appropriate 3rd party vendor if needed.
- Provides technical support and consultation to colleagues and customers as needed.
- Working experience progressively in systems engineering
- Working experience in systems applications and hardware, server architecture, operating platforms, NAS/SAN technologies, and internet and web applications
- Working experience writing and maintaining scripts in multiple languages
- Working experience in system engineering with large server environment
- Working experience with security and network/distributed computing concepts
- Working experience in leading projects
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent combination of industry related professional experience and education
- 5-8 years of working experience in advanced scripting language
- 5-8 years of working experience in cloud computing concepts particularly related to IaaS and PaaS approaches