Responsible for delivering all aspects of the Supplier Quality Assurance function on an on-going basis in line with the Quality Management System and Quality Policy to ensure that the business’ products and services are fit for purpose and meet customer expectations. Responsible for ensuring that suppliers continue to develop and implement best practice that emphasize defect prevention, reduction in variation and waste; and provide for continuous improvements and continue to meet quality standards required to minimize quality costs and maximize customer satisfaction whilst ensuring that procedures and processes are adhered to. This position is responsible for providing outstanding people and management skills to a team of Supplier Quality Engineers here at KUAS.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practice quality vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve operational performance.
- Contribute to new business initiatives and projects; reviews and communicates the impact on Supplier Quality activities.
- Manages the supplier quality function and puts systems in place to improve supplier quality.
- Facilitates improvements to the AS9100 Quality Management System as it pertains to requirements flowing to suppliers.
- Ensures that customer quality requirements are understood by suppliers.
- Participates in new product development, i.e. stage-gate and peer reviews for suppliers.
- Investigates supplier related customer escapes and drives root cause and corrective action to closure.
- Ensures quality system improvement projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Develops, maintains, and monitors supplier performance metrics that support the company’s goals/objectives.
- Defines company actions to be taken and ensures implementation through the appropriate company functional organizations.
- Leads and facilitates cross-functional teams to solve supplier quality problems.
- Promotes a culture of quality awareness both internal and within the supply base.
- Serves as a change agent for affecting a cultural shift in the way quality is implemented.
- Performs independently and on own initiative with minimum supervision.
- Exhibits sound interpersonal skills involving interfacing, coordinating, and negotiating with company personnel, customers, and suppliers.
- Analyzes potential future needs and develops time-phased plans to acquire personnel, technology, and equipment to support anticipated quality system improvements.
- Hires, counsels, trains, develops, and evaluates performance of quality team members.
- Works with Engineering (Design and Manufacturing Engineers) team to define process parameters and criteria to ensure supplier process capability is effective to meet product and process requirements.
- Supports Purchasing with the supplier approval process by assessing manufacturing/technology capabilities and Health, Safety, and Environmental risks.
- Supports new product launches to ensure suppliers are capable of delivering to the required quality standards.
- Manages the root cause analysis and corrective actions process of supplier quality issues.
- Performs on-site supplier visits for root cause analysis and verification of corrective actions of supplier quality issues.
- Reviews and evaluate supplier quality data to identify process improvement opportunities within the supply chain.
- Reviews supplier manufacturing processes, collaborates with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities.
- Promotes the use of customer preferred techniques for continuous improvement such as Lean, Six-Sigma, Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing), Measurement System Analysis and FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis).
- Manages the development and refinement of Design and Process FMEA’s (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis).
- Monitors and reports on supplier product quality and performance understanding any commercial issues and impacts.
- Manages the Supplier Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Keeps up with current and developing manufacturing and engineering trends that concern product quality.
- Conducts benchmarking studies to determine best practices/designs and future trends.
- Stays current and up to date on any changes that may affect the supply and demand of needed products and materials and advise others of any impact.
Other Job Functions
- Ensures that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors.
- Travels 10 to 15 percent of the time
- Other duties may be assigned.
Directly manages team of exempt and/or non-exempt personnel performing quality engineering, quality analysis and mission assurance functions.
Experience and Skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information as required by government standards.
- Ability to interact effectively with peers and supervisors.
- Ability to interact appropriately with the public when necessary.
- Ability to adhere to workplace rules.
- Ability to effectively communicate professionally in writing or verbally with all levels of personnel.
- Must be a self-directed professional.
- Ability to read and interpret design drawings per ASME Y14.5, schematics and military specifications.
- Ability to analyze data, measurements, and other information to reach accurate conclusions.
- Ability to think analytically and produce accurate analysis, while applying good judgment to conduct assigned responsibilities accurately and effectively.
- Ability to close open actions in a timely manner and drive personnel teams to meet deadlines.
- Effective computer, analytical and mathematical skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor ’s Degree in Engineering discipline is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the aerospace industry.
- Minimum of 5 years quality assurance or supply chain related management with direct supervisory experience.
- ISO 9001:2015, AS9100, DOD, and MIL-STD experience.
- Process improvement / problem solving experience, i.e. CMMI, Lean, Six Sigma, DMAIC, 8D is desired.
- Statistical Process Control (SPC) experience is desired.
- US citizenship is required, in order to potentially obtain / maintain a clearance of the proper level.