- Looks for ways to improve engineering design and design processes in a particular discipline.
- Looks for new trends in Engineering design in a particular discipline and how to apply them to our projects.
Project Management and Technical Improvement
- 10% time devoted to project management tasks and technical improvement initiatives.
- Project management tasks shall include project manpower estimates, project communications, budget monitoring and inputs, organizing deliverables, setting project standards for delivery.
- Development of typical details, specifications, and drawing standards, including development of Revit standards in coordination with the BIM team.
- Keeping abreast of industry and technology changes and trends, and recommend changes in approach and services as appropriate.
- Improvement of analytic processes and documentation, common solutions, and critical solutions.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- 90% time devoted to the engineering of projects.
- Responsibility for the project engineering of small, medium and large sized projects from concept and schematic design through construction documents to construction.
- Provide design inputs and reviews of other engineer’s projects at all stages of design.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current or prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, and leading on issues where appropriate.
- Perform site visit surveys to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing systems.
- Visit project sites during construction for reviews of quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of the projects to budget.
- Mentoring of engineering staff on projects and as part of your role in guiding their professional development.
- As needed, provide support to business development, including write-up of key aspects of projects and presentation of work at industry events, and prepare fee estimates and assumptions for a particular discipline on potential projects.
- Work with architects on concepts for project competitions.
Performance measured on project results
- Efficiency and profitability of the Engineering Discipline in the office or region and its contributions to firm-wide success.
- Quality of design solutions, as measured by level of integration, unique solutions, achieving high sustainability goals, and recognition by peers as excellence.
- The quality of work produced, as measured by completeness of design, absence of change orders and client satisfaction.
- Cohesiveness of the discipline team, as evidenced by ease and amount of work share, consistency of quality and delivery tools and standards, including drawings and specifications, and team communication.
- Client repeat business.
- Contributions to bringing in new work.
- Ability to engineer and deliver projects over $100m in size.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple practices across HOK’s organization.
- Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form, with an understanding of industry communication protocols.
- Must be able to inspire owners and designers.
- Set, monitor and deliver to budgets.
- Strong project management skills for the particular discipline.
- Strong multi-disciplinary project team leadership.
- Ability to mentor others.
- Ability to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems.
- Proficiency with Revit is preferred.
- Engineering of complex basements and foundations.
- Engineering of steel and concrete superstructures, including long span or high rise.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Licensed SE in states with SE license, PE or CE / PE in other states.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
- Expert at all aspects of their discipline, including a track record of recent successful major projects over $100m, and one major project over $250m.
- 8 years project engineering experience, from design development to opening, with one completed high profile project included in the mix.
- Experience in working in integrated teams.
- Experience in design and delivery of LEED Silver or higher projects.
- Experience with architecturally significant buildings is a plus.
- Experience with potential project types in commercial, corporate, institutional and civic, justice, aviation, science + technology, and healthcare sectors is a plus.
- Experience with complex analysis tools for Structural design.