We believe that, when done right, investing liberates people to create their own destiny. We are driven by our purpose to champion every client’s goals with passion and integrity. We respect and appreciate the diversity of our employees, our clients, and the communities we serve. We challenge conventions strategically to create value for our clients, our firm and the world. We live and bring to life the concept of ‘own your tomorrow’ every day. We champion our employee strengths, guide their development, and invest in their long-term success. We hire optimistic, results-oriented, curious, innovative, and adaptable people with the desire to help our clients and one another succeed.
As a company, we were established by Chuck over 40 years ago to champion Main Street over Wall Street, and to help Americans transform themselves from earners to owners. Through advocacy and innovation, we work to make investing more affordable, accessible and understandable for all. As we enter our fifth decade, we are looking for talented, innovative and driven people who believe they can help themselves, and our clients, create a better future.
Schwab’s Cash and Stock Solutions group (CSS) is recruiting to hire a results-oriented and talented technical lead who shares our passion in delivering innovative technology solutions to meet business needs. Our main goal here at Schwab is to transform people’s lives by changing the way the world invests. The CSS group supports Schwab’s Retail and Institutional businesses by developing innovative, unique-in-class Cashiering and Investment products, and are looking for a talented technologist with domain/functional knowledge in the financial services industry. We are in the process of modernizing our TOA (Transfer of Account) infrastructure and are looking for a hands-on lead developer who will excel in a dynamic and fast paced agile environment and is passionate about developing high quality scalable software. This role will have split responsibilities between design/leading the team and development work, and will require the successful candidate to be responsible for individual coding contributions in addition to their team lead responsibilities. You will work aside a team of seasoned engineers whose main objective is to maintain all aspects of the overall software development lifecycle and ensure the on-time, quality delivery of software product releases.
What you’ll do:
As a senior staff technical lead engineer in the CSS group you will:
- Acquire deep domain/functional knowledge of our TOA application area and the systems we have in place to support the business needs.
- Understand the technology vision and platform modernization strategy for CSS and support the design and development of our PaaS ready distributed services that will be exposed via Web API and REST interface to our channel partners.
- Translate existing Cobol programs and processing into specifications that can be lifted into a middle-tier environment.
- Lead the team in execution of development pipeline and delivery of the organization’s software products to QA, and ultimately to Production.
- Manage day-to-day activities and influence team members to leverage, follow and support agile software development practices.
- Interface with product owner and key stakeholders in Project Management, Business, QA and Technology Operations to ensure high quality delivery of software projects on time and budget.
- Work with Scrum Masters and product owners to provide development sizing’s & cost analysis estimates.
- Work closely with product owners and team members to decompose stories, design features, and prioritize tasks.
- Contribute to the development of an independent and highly efficient partnering QA team, new to the TOA applications.
- Utilize automated software test tools and frameworks to achieve software quality standards.
- Support release manager to assemble releases and drive improvements in the release process.
- Assist Scrum Masters in resolving needs and roadblocks identified by team members.
- Help ensure the coordination of individual team deliverables are synchronized as necessary to achieve product releases.
- Provide hands-on development and mentoring as necessary for other members of the development team.
- Identify technologyrisks early to develop and socialize mitigating deployment plans.
- Create the following artifacts for each project: Software Architecture documentation, Technical Use Cases, and Code Review Packages.
What you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience serving in the role of technical lead on an agilescrum team.
- Minimum 8+ years of development experience.
- Mainframe application design and development experience using Cobol, CICS, DB2, Eztrieve, JCL, TSO, Expediter/de-bugging tools, Job scheduling products.
- Experience in the following: Jira, Visual Studio, Team Foundation Server, WCF, Web API, .NET Framework, Web Services, REST, JSON, SOAP.
- Experience developing/managing REST and SOAP-based Web Service API(s) in a transaction processing environment.
- Experience with No SQL DBs.
- Experience working in an AGILE software development environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively inspire and influence teams and partners in delivering technology enabled business solutions that meet business needs.
- Ability to execute at scale in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to mentor and provide effective feedback to junior staff and peers.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving skills.
- Ability to independently work as a contributing member in a high-paced and focused team.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to work with a geographically dispersed team, both onshore and offshore.
- Ability to thrive in a flexible and fast-paced environment across multiple time zones and locations.
- Self-Motivated, driven, and passionate in resolving complex and time-sensitive business problems through simple and innovative technical solutions. Must demonstrate a knack for figuring out solutions to complex problems.
- Experience with distributed multi-tier applications, WMI and SQL DB.
- Experience with SQL/PL and writing DB2 stored procedures is a plus.
- Experience in financial services industry with knowledge of Broker/Dealer and/or TOA functions are preferred, not required.
What you’ll get:
- Comprehensive Compensation and Benefits package
- Financial Health: 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Employee Discounts, Personalized advice, Brokerage discounts
- Work/Life Balance: Sabbatical, Paid Parental Leave, New Mothers returning to work Program, Tuition Reimbursement Programs, Time off to volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program
- Everyday Wellness: Health and Lifestyle Wellness Rewards, Onsite Fitness Classes, Healthy Food Choices, Wellness Champions
- Inclusion: Employee Resource Groups, Commitment to diversity, Strategic partnerships
- Not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life
Learn more about Life@Schwab.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is Schwab's policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, legally protected medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, military status, citizenship status or any other status that is protected by law.