Job Description Summary
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Senior Staff Engineer isresponsible for leading and managing Operations projects, programs andassociates in the design, development and implementation of best-in-classprocesses and process equipment for manufacturing reagent and media based products. Participates as a core team member from Operations on R&D product development projects. Assists Engineering Managers and Directors on manufacturing technology strategy, personnel and business matters. Provides technical guidance andsupportto other functional groups to meet BD business objectives.
Senior Staff Engineer – Operations, Reagent & Media Cluster
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Senior Staff Engineer is responsible for leading and managing Operations projects, programs and associates in the design, development and implementation of best-in-class processes and process equipment for manufacturing reagent and media based products. Participates as a core team member from Operations on R&D product development projects. Assists Engineering Managers and Directors on manufacturing technology strategy, personnel and business matters. Provides technical guidance and support to other functional groups to meet BD business objectives.
KNOWLEDGE & PROBLEM SOLVING:
- Applies advanced technical principles, theories and concepts as required to factory automation and process equipment requirements.
- Contributes to the development of new manufacturing processes. Works on unusually complex technical problems and provides solutions that are highly innovative and ingenious for manufacturing reagent & media based products meeting established quality and predictable product delivery metrics.
- As a core team member on R&D product development programs, develops and applies advanced technological ideas for products, processes and equipment, and guiding their implementation into a product meeting business safety, quality, delivery and cost requirements.
- Works under consultative direction toward predetermined long-range operational goals and objectives. Determines and pursues courses of action within projects and programs necessary to obtain desired results. Erroneous decisions or recommendations typically result in failure to achieve critical organizational objectives associated with safety, quality, delivery and/or cost of manufactured product.
- As a BD technology leader, works directly with suppliers of custom automated equipment for manufacturing reagent and media based products.
- Interfaces with Operations, Quality, Procurement and Legal groups on development of the supplier base for manufacturing, molding and packaging equipment, as well as the legal agreements with the same entities.
- Acts as an advisor to management and external consultants on advanced technical studies and applications.
- Interfaces with peers in other BD divisions to exchange ideas and experiences while developing “best in class” manufacturing solutions.
- Develops manufacturing technology strategy linked to the business strategy for Operations projects.
- Manages unusually complex projects to design, prototype, build and commercialize manufacturing process equipment. Initiates, plans, executes, monitors, controls, and brings these projects to closure.
- Provides engineering leadership and guidance to engineering staff associates on projects.
MANUFACTURING PROCESS TECHNOLOGY:
- Demonstrated technical accomplishments and application of expert technical skills in relevant manufacturing process technologies, process and product innovation and development. Acts as a sounding board, consultant or mentor for other members of the department/business in assessing technical issues and developing solutions.
- Applies engineering principles and interprets experimentation results to determine appropriate course of action. Organizes and executes technology sensing, research and development applicable to process automation, equipment, and manufacturing processes.
- As a member of the engineering leadership team, drives the use of structured design and development processes (i.e. Design for Six Sigma, Design for Manufacturing/Assembly) for development of robust products and manufacturing processes. Applies Continuous Improvement (CI) and Six Sigma principles and techniques to achieve predictable product flow meeting Operation’s safety, quality, delivery and cost objectives.
- Assists engineering managers and Director in development of department strategies and alignment with overall Operations and business platform strategies. Provides technical consultation to the Reagent & Media cluster-engineering department and its leaders as it relates to the application of technology to the business strategy.
- Anticipates consequences of actions and/or decisions. Makes decisions that are in the best interest of the company.
- Demonstrates initiative and innovation in actions/ideas, with constant vision toward successful execution of assignment(s), including project management.
- Develops and maintains technical liaisons with individuals within, outside the organization and across BD businesses with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters.
- Provides the process technology leadership and expertise for assembly on the multifunctional project teams focused on new product implementation.
- Presents technical material fluently.
- Provides project status updates and reports to management on a timely basis.
- Follows division policies and guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned and applicable.
- BS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering required. Advanced engineering degree (MSME or MSEE) or advanced engineering management degree (MEA or MBA) desirable.
- Professional engineering (PE) and/or project management (PMP) certification desirable.
- Job ID R-324882