The role of Sr. Staff Counsel, Regulatory is a full-time, attorney position within Asurion’s Legal Regulatory Team, and has responsibility to ensure that the company maintains ongoing compliance with laws and regulations governing portable electronics insurance, service contracts, warranties and other ancillary products and services in all jurisdictions in which Asurion does business. Senior Manager, Staff Counsel will provide day-to-day support for Asurion’s client teams, including facilitating discussions designed to consistently provide business-oriented solutions and risk mitigation guidance.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic leader, with excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills, strong time management, and may have some experience in insurance and technology industries and/or has a minimum of 5 years of in-house experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides regulatory compliance and consumer protection related guidance to internal clients on matters pertaining to insurance and service contract requirements, as well as compliance obligations and processes of the Company
- Accurately assesses and manages risk through knowledge of Asurion’s business and relevant legal issues, including reconciling the implication of past precedent with current and future needs
- Works to support client accounts, and act as a liaison and brokers creative solutions for relevant stakeholders
- Develops a thorough understanding of Asurion’s business, processes and goals to provide innovative legal solutions that solve unique or challenging problems
- Establish strong collaborative relationships with cross functional team, including legal, underwriting, finance, marketing, program management, client services and product
- Analyzes and stays current with state and federal laws, regulations for insurance, service contracts and warranty, consumer protection requirements and insurance licensing and reporting requirements; and serves as a technical expert in these area(s) of practice
- Demonstrates good analytical skills and judgment
- Conducts research projects
- Act as a trusted advisor
- Actively seeks operational understanding and implications of initiatives Provide guidance to onsite uniformed security staff and initiate an immediate security response among international sites.
Here’s what you’ll bring to the team:
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school and admission to the bar
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Experience in marketing, advertisement and consumer protection a plus
- Previous regulatory compliance or insurance, service contract or consumer protection experience, as well OFAC or international compliance, will be considered a plus
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively understand, consider and address the client or business while mitigating risk exposure
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must possess strong judgment, confidence, collaborative problem-solving skills, and ability to spot potential issues quickly
- Must be able to independently handle a variety and number of legal matters under supervision of more experienced legal counsel
- Schedules and prioritizes work and deliverables to ensure on-time response to a large variety of changing demands/requests/requirements
- Highly organized and driven to thoroughly understand the issue and the possible implications of legal guidance
- Aptitude and motivation for staying current with regulatory changes in insurance, service contract and consumer protection regulations
- Must be able to identify early signs of conflict and get to essence of problems to resolve issues before they escalate to a conflict
- Occasional travel.