The Sr. SQL Database Administrator will be responsible for the availability, integrity, security, and performance of corporate databases. Administers and controls organization's data resources through the use of Relational Database Management Systems and/or other DBMS tools. Works with Analysts, Data Architects and Application Development teams to ensure data integrity and security, eliminate redundancy and improve database performance. Responsible for establishing and supporting database backup and recovery procedures. Works under general supervision.
- Works with Programmer/Analysts and/or Data Architects to review logical and physical data models. Ensures that databases meet overall business information requirements and application's functional requirements.
- Constructs and maintains databases associated with various application development projects based on the logical data model and physical database designs.
- Monitors and tunes production databases. Provides guidance/training to Data Architecture and Applications Development staff as needed.
- Develops procedures for database security. Establishes database backup and recovery procedures and trains operations staff as needed.
- Provides twenty-four hour, seven-days-a-week support for a variety of production databases through participation in on-call responsibilities shared among the DBA staff. In critical situations, this responsibility may require working evening or weekend hours.
- Prepares project work plans and project time and cost estimates for the manager's review/approval. Leads or oversees work activities assigned to Database Administration staff.
- Leads/participates in the development and administration of logical, physical and database-specific data standards.
- Maintains knowledge of and assists in training others in new technologies related to data management.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Travel Requirements (if applicable) – Attend onsite meetings as requested.
- Candidate will possess excellent communication (verbal/written), organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Manage multiple tasks, be detail oriented, be responsive, and demonstrate independent thought and critical thinking.
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university (in Information Technology or Computer Science preferred) plus five to eight years related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of five years of experience with SQL Server 2008/2012/2014/2016 database administration.
- In-depth knowledge of SQL Server replication concepts with experience in the implementation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
- In-depth understanding of MSSQL high availability options, with the ability to implement, monitor, and troubleshoot problems.
- In-depth understanding of MSSQL database backup and recovery procedures.
- In-depth understanding of database maintenance best practices.Understanding of MSSQL IO characteristics and storage best practices.
- Proven knowledge and experience in MSSQL performance tuning methodologies.
- Experience in implementing operation automation using scripts. PowerShell preferred but not required.
- Must be able to stay calm under pressure and use a pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Demonstrated technical leadership.
- Experience managing timelines and task priorities.
- Ability to comprehend complex technical and logical concepts and adapt quickly to change.
- Ability to stay current with rapidly changing technology and applies it to business needs.
- Understanding of health care industry and service delivery models is desired but not required.