Harris is seeking an Optical Engineer for the Optical Systems Engineering Group. This individual will provide optical design and analysis support on airborne and space imaging systems ranging from UV to LWIR regions of the spectrum. The optical engineer will be part of a highly skilled technical team helping develop these imaging systems. The individual will be expected to be the SME for solutions to challenging optical design problems at the system and component level. Additionally, the individual will be expected to interface with the customer and be able to present highly technical information in a clear and concise manner. Technical writing and communication skills are needed to help with program pursuits.
The selected candidate will perform the following duties:
- Perform optical design and analysis on advanced telescopes, calibrators, and unique optical test sets, including freeform optical approaches.
- Develop optical budgets and sensitivities including wavefront error, MTF, line of sight, and throughput.
- Perform analyses to show compliance to optical requirements and specifications for imaging systems, assemblies, component drawings, coatings, etc.
- Perform tolerancing analyses to assess manufacturability and optical alignment.
- Provide optical modeling, analysis and metrology support during system alignment, integration and testing.
- Perform other unique modeling tasks, such as: spectral tuning/splitting, polarization, phase retrieval, image simulation, etc.
- Support the development of optical technologies and architectural concepts to support the company’s current and new business opportunities.
- Optical system tolerancing and analysis
- Freeform optical system design and analysis
- Requirement generation and flow down (budget generation)
- Software packages: CodeV and/or Zemax, Matlab, Mathematica
- Degrees in Optics, Physics, or Applied Mathematics
- Exposure to Systems Engineering standards, processes and disciplines
- Bachelor’s degree with 6+ years of experience with statistical analysis and Design of Experiments; or equivalent.
- Proof of strong problem solving capability and people skills, and the ability to conduct presentations for management, technical experts, and customers.
- 2 years experience with commercially available interferometry systems (ex. Zygo, 4D) and analysis software (ex. Matlab, MetroPro).
Preferred Additional Skills:
- MS Degree in Optics or Physics
- Ability to provide strong leadership to teams made up of engineers and technicians