Sr. Sourcing Manager -- Retail Packaging & Store Supplies
Albertsons Safeway is working to become the favorite food and drug retailer in every market it serves. The organization includes 2,294 stores, 23 distribution facilities and 20 manufacturing plants with over 275,000 employees across 34 states and the District of Columbia. The company is privately owned with supermarkets across the country that includes: Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Carrs, ACME, Jewel-Osco, Lucky, Shaw's, Star Market, Super Saver, United Supermarkets, Market Street and Amigos.
The Strategic Sourcing Department has an opening for a Senior Sourcing Managerwithin the Not For Resale Sourcing group (Indirect). The Senior Sourcing Manager is responsible for leading a team that sources Retail Packaging, Store Supplies, Materials and Expense items within our company. This position is located at our Corporate Office in Boise, ID.
This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to join a driven and growing team within strategic sourcing. Self-starters, proactive and energetic candidates who are looking to contribute with ideas, innovative thinking, and tireless actions should apply. We offer a great work-life balance, yet intense, challenging and fast-paced working environment that ultimately celebrates results but demands absolute professionalism at every step. We welcome and value diversity, unique experiences, and wide skills sets.
Who you are: The ideal candidate has a background in packaging, store supply and expense items that are used in the day to day operations of a retailer. This includes a broad range of items like foam trays, paper/poly bags, food preparation supplies, and other packaging related items. You are a top performer who puts results first and follows a sourcing process. You are a problem solver with an entrepreneurial mindset who is persistently looking for places to improve, is curious, and excited by the work in the field of Strategic Sourcing. You are a true team player looking to learn, share, teach, and grow with the team. You are comfortable with ambiguity and understand that collaboration is a key for top results.
We are looking for: Driven leaders who can demonstrate that they are change agents, consensus builders and strategists who have experience utilizing a sourcing process, and whose calling and drive is to make an impact. The Senior Sourcing Manager is responsible for managing all tasks related to the various sourcing processes and activities for their and their direct reports assigned categories in sourcing for Retail Packaging. The Senior Manager negotiates contracts with suppliers and helps sell strategic sourcing services across the organization to meet cost savings targets.
This position assists the Director to ensure the departments' goals and objectives that drive cost saving initiatives, increase sales, reduce working capital, and provide for people development are met.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and manage cost savings expectations for the Retail Packaging team and interface with various business units on projects to develop strategies collaboratively which create a competitive negotiation environment
- Manage sourcing categories as needed
- Oversee and present strategic financial models and analysis that drive cost savings and cost avoidance
- Deliver accurate financial reporting of cost savings to various business units' senior leadership
- Adhere to and ensure the assigned staff are SOX compliant and adhere to all policies and processes
- Lead and support staff in building new negotiation strategies during event negotiation as the environment dynamically changes
- Review and approve negotiation strategies
- Present negotiation outcomes and strategies to senior management
- Direct and motivate sourcing team members to support and utilize the Strategic Sourcing processes and tools required to meet their job requirements and goals
- Supervise, train and mentor; managers, buyers and analysts on building their skills to become strategic sourcing experts this includes understanding the industry, negotiations, contracts and developing complex financial models
- Collaborate with HR on resource planning, attraction, selection, retention and development of talent
- Develop sourcing expertise in the group and create opportunities to develop talent
- Develop product knowledge and understanding of category roles and business strategy in the group
- Oversee workload distribution within the group
- Strong analytical skills: able to transform data into clear and relevant information
- Develop and deliver high quality presentations
- Establish relationships and lead Stakeholders / cross-functional teams along the process to get buy-in
- Develop and lead price, and terms-and-conditions negotiations with suppliers
- Lead sourcing events from project kick-off to contract execution
- Use and evaluate eSourcing tools and new technologies
- Participate in spend analytics and work planning efforts
- Create Strategic Sourcing partnerships to increase addressable spend
- Become a category expert in understanding the category role and develop category playbooks and roadmaps to enhance strategic negotiations
- Develop negotiation event timeline and manage execution
- Project management
- Handle small to multi-million-dollar projects
- Supervise and mentor entry level buyers, and analysts on building the financial model utilized to support negotiation events
- Supervise sourcing managers and provide the strategic vision to achieve the departments goals
- Bachelor's Degree
- 7+ years' experience in Strategic Sourcing. 3-5 years in Indirect categories preferred
- Experience in developing and managing strategic supplier relationships
- Strong experience with contract negotiations and managing strategic supplier alliances
- Experience partnering with legal and negotiating terms and conditions
- Strong business writing, and oral communications skills
- MBA or Master's Degree
- Consulting (including internal consulting) experience is a big plus
- 3-5 Years of Leadership/Management experience in Supply Chain or Sourcing
- Packaging experience a plus
- Degree or minor in quantitative field such as economics, math, statistics, managerial accounting, business management, etc. is preferred
- Strong oral communications skills