Sr. Solution Architect
The Sr. Solution Architect will report to the Senior Vice President, Enterprise Architecture, and be a member of a team that is responsible for developing and maintaining an enterprise target-state architecture that meets near and long-term technological objectives. This role will help guide product and engineering teams and will collaborate across different functions of the business teams as well to help make build versus buying decisions through evaluation of the alternative. Will help engineering and products team in modernizing their current solutions and introducing new innovative offerings. This position requires a strong technical background coupled with a working knowledge of all areas of IT Architecture (e.g., Application, Data, Security, Infrastructure, and cloud technologies; especially, AWS) and practical experience working in an Agile development environment.
The Sr. Solution Architect is a hands-on, working technologist with a high energy level and the ability to communicate with all levels of the organization. The successful candidate will develop peer relationships that build on positive and open interaction and will help establish the team as a focal point for leading the organization’s technology and change (modernization and digital transformation) efforts.
- Provide technical direction and guidance in the deployment and appropriate use of existing and emerging technologies in alignment with strategic goals and technology roadmap.
- Plays a role in ensuring alignment of solutions and off-the-shelf product selection with the target state architecture and business technology engineering strategy.
- Support engineering teams in delivery of priorities that drive profitability and support growth, aligning the organization to drive a high return on the Company’s investment in technology
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of comprehensive architecture guidelines that empower product teams to deliver secure, scalable and flexible solutions.
- Participate in development of the enterprise target-state architecture
- Participate and drive cloud-first architecture patterns for the company (AWS)
- Mentor other technologists on architectural principles.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to engineering and product teams, especially in the areas of cloud platform adoption and API-first development.
- Participate in the implementation of the enterprise architecture review & governance
- Own the standard recommendations for key non-functional requirements (scalability, availability, maintenance, security, etc).
- Work with other technology functions (Product & Technology Planning, Core Engineering, Data & Analytics, etc.) to ensure that engineering teams deploy the platforms and technologies best suited to their business goals and in alignment with target-state architecture, and business technology engineering strategy.
- Evaluate technology advances and industry trends and where appropriate recommend updates to the architectural guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering or a related field; master’s degree preferred
- 10+ years of application development and experience designing, integrating, and managing complex IT Architectures with a focus on service orientation and cloud platforms
- 2-3 years of experience building technology roadmaps
- Strong working knowledge and solution development across all areas of IT architecture (i.e., application, data, security, infrastructure)
- Strong understanding of technology architecture, technology platforms and ability to explain technical concepts to the business users in the context of business requirements.
- Ability to define metrics that measure success of architecture in addressing business and technical requirements as well as achieving the desired outcomes.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and willing to challenge conventional wisdom and take principled bets on new technology
- Ability to establish, implement, and enforce appropriate IT standards to meet business requirements
- Strong technical background in modern architectural frameworks (e.g., Microservices, REST APIs, Single Page Applications, Containerization)
- Experience with building solutions on public cloud platforms encompassing IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and/or Serverless Computing
- Comprehensive knowledge of hardware, software, application, and systems engineering
- Prior experience working with major relational database products e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle or PostgreSQL
- Experience being effective across a matrix organization
- Demonstrated history of hiring, developing, retaining and upgrading technical talent including the management of globally distributed teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills