The Software Product Manager for Illumina Genomics LIMS will have product responsibility for BaseSpace Clarity LIMS and associated LIMS products. Clarity LIMS is a genomics LIMS for efficient and workflow management focused on Illumina products.
The successful candidate in this role will develop a deep understanding of Clarity LIMS, wet-lab genomics workflows and the competitive landscape for managing workflows in the genomics space. The position will capture the voice of our customers, identify and prioritize key features and requirements. As a member of the software and informatics product management team, this role will work collaboratively across multiple departments, including Product Development, Product Marketing, Sales, Customer Support, Business Development, and Finance to ensure that Clarity LIMS and associate LIMS products are successful in the market.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a technical background and experience with wet-lab genomics workflows, cloud-based software, excellent project management skills, integration to 3rd party software and experience bringing Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products to market.
- Own and communicate the genomics LIMS product strategy at all levels, including leadership, commercial and development teams.
- Own and communicate the product roadmap for genomics LIMS product(s) at all levels.
- Identify and drive partnership opportunities to provide customers with comprehensive solutions.
- Define and report on metrics for success.
- Understand the general market dynamics and trends at a global level
- Have a clear understanding of the competitive landscape and where genomics LIMS fit in the end to end genomics workflow
- Identify opportunities to partner in order to meet customer needs
- Collect VOC from customers and internal stake holders.
- Generate and maintain market requirements for the development team.
- Collaborate with the development team to generate user requirements and design inputs.
- Ensure alignment of VOC requirements, and provide additional needs justification to include VOC requirements into the product roadmap
Product Commercialization Process
- Work closely with the global commercial team to ensure every release meet the commercialization process where needed
- Provide product marketing support to promote and position Clarity LIMS and associate LIMS products in the market
- Monitor product releases to ensure success in the market
- Work closely with commercial team to move strategic accounts forward
- Coordinate the creation of legal agreements for customers and partnerships
- Train support organization on product usage, and error modes
- Train sales on target customers, how and when to position, and value props
- Serve as a node in the support escalation path
- Convey defects and usage issues back to the development team
- Determine patch release/versioning approach
- Configure and update preset protocols
- Work closely with technical writers to ensure user guides are available at release
Software Lifecycle Management
- Manage the life cycle for Clarity LIMS and associated LIMS product portfolio
- Create software documentation per the product development process
- Serve as the Marketing representative on the product Core Team
- Develop alpha and beta test plans
- Coordinate distribution of software to internal (alpha) and external (beta) testers
- Collect feedback from testers and convey to the development team.
- Excited to work in a fast paced, “multithreaded” environment
- Must be able to manage a broad-based product offering, serving the needs of varying (and even overlapping) markets
- Must be able to communicate requirements and negotiate priorities with both Marketing and Software Development groups
- Must have excellent written, communication, and presentation skills, with excellent time and program management skills
- Must have 4+ years of experience working in a genomics lab or with a LIMS
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of experience in a Product Management, Product Marketing or Product Support including general experience in Life Sciences
- Must have experience with a phased gate product development methodology.
- Must have experience with agile development process
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry or Life Science is required
- MBA or advanced degree is desirable