At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What’s the role?
We are looking for a Senior Engineer with API development and deployment experience to join our Enterprise Data Access Services Team within Insight Solutions. The role requires a dynamic agile engineering mindset, patience and persistence to solve complex problems, ability to get things done quickly but thoughtfully, and strong engineering skills. You will design and develop integrated data solutions, modernizing, consolidating and coordinating business needs across several Top Tier Applications.
You will analyze business and functional specifications to deliver high-quality data solutions while maintaining development best practices and optimizing maintainability and supportability. We are interested in someone who takes ownership of issues and assignments, moves between diverse tasks with persistence and a purpose.
What you'll get to do:
- Develop and deploy API’s that enable the Department to deliver high-quality data solutions to the Enterprise
- Modernize a Top-Tier Application Services team that provides critical data to the Enterprise
- Collaborate in a deeply cross functional way with engineers and designers - roll up your sleeves and put your heads together to brainstorm requirements for features and solution through thorny bugs
- Work with a talented, mission-driven, respected team with deep domain expertise and enterprise savvy
- Build expertise on a wide variety of platforms, using a wide variety of technical skills
- Create the future of a new department focused on Enterprise Data and Analytics
- Establish trust relationships with data owners, experts and SMEs across a wide variety of Northwestern Mutual data domains, including continual expansion of this network to grow data expertise.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 4-5 years’ experience in data integration and/or API development
- Possesses advanced skills and knowledge of development methodologies across various technologies.
- Technologies include: Java, Web Services, SOAP, Rest, Microservices, MQ
- Strong SQL – writing and reviewing complex SQL statements, performance tuning
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to logically analyze and creatively solve complex issues independently
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written to multiple levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with all levels throughout the enterprise
- Ability and willingness to create change; passion for continuous improvement
- Ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements.
- Database modeling experience
- Industry background
- Experience with different engineering eco systems (Hadoop, relational, big data, complex data, mainframe)
- Data Vault knowledge and/or experience
Req ID: 18644