Sr. Software Engineer
Share your resume and a cover letter that explains why you believe you’d be a fit for Virgin Pulse and this position.
Impeccable writing and verbal communication skills are essential to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that shows us your personality-just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us. The run of the mill cover letter will probably not get you to the next step- just saying.
As a senior software engineer within Virgin Pulse, you will leverage a myriad of exciting and open source technologies to create our next generation SaaS application, servicing web and native mobile platforms. With your keyboard as your catalyst, you will take part in designing, implementing and testing features used by millions. You’ll be challenged to wear many hats as you switch from programming for web, mobile, and API -- all while ensuring your work is testable and scaleable. Specifically as a senior, you're not only comfortable with the technology stack, you're motivated to help others, leading by example and constantly challenging the status quo.
Who We Are
Virgin Pulse – part of Sir Richard Branson’s world-renowned Virgin Group – is looking for a talented Sr. Software Engineer to help build our next-generation SAAS application. As a member of the Virgin Pulse team, you will be expected to keep up to date with cutting edge and emerging technology, and work closely with otherdevelopers and our Product team to deploy, maintain, and operate our systems and tools.
At Virgin Pulse, we want to make employees healthier and happier. We accomplish this in many ways, including:
- Gamification of exercise and healthy habits, to hook people on being healthy
- A rewards program, to keep people coming back
- Challenges and competitions - take more steps than your friends!
- Wellness tracking - activity, weight, blood pressure, and nutrition information can be tracked, which earns points / badges
- Device integration - we work with Fitbit, MyFitnessPal, Nike, Garmin, and our very own, very cool, bluetooth enabled activity device to pull in your data
Why Work Here
- Fast-paced environment on a small but awesome team.
- Good benefits and a fun work environment.
- Lots of companies have a ping pong table, but we actually use ours.
- We also support and encourage a healthy lifestyle, with an in-office gym, regular free exercise classes, healthy snacks and drinks, and more.
- Like games? Our ps4 is a way of life for some employees.
- We have regular running/walking groups, Zumba classes, Yoga classes, and people who are always up for a game of tennis.
- Oh, we also offer a highly competitive compensation package with generous vacations and benefits, including annual bonus and 401K matching.
…In short, we rock.
What We’re Doing
Our next generation SAAS platform is using an exciting mixture of technologies: Large scale, public-facing websites in Angular/Angular2, leveraging tools like Pug, Grunt and NPM to make things automated and repeatable. Our Java/Kotlin-based REST API is built on Spring Boot and Hibernate which serves traffic to both web and mobile consumers. We’re using a combination of both Postgresql, Cassandra and Redis. Redis, specifically, is used extensively in a distributed locking system, responsible for supporting real-time data processing. All of this uses Amazon Web Services extensively.
Continuous Integration is done using TeamCity, and we have regular deployments to our environments (Development, QA, Staging, Production), with integrated unit tests and code coverage analysis.
You should know:
- An in-depth understanding of how RESTful applications work
- You’re using SQL daily, postgresql is a plus
- Common front end technologies such as Pug, Bower/NPM, Grunt, Angular, etc
- You write good unit tests, consistently
- You're generally motivated by technologies and keep up to date
- Converting user stories into actional items is no stranger to you
You should at least be familiar with:
- AgileScrum or Kanban methodologies
- Scrum tools (Jira, confuence, etc.)
- Git with pull requests
- Linux and strong with CLI
- How TCP/IP works
- Continuous Integration / Delivery (Teamcity, Jenkins, etc.)
- Hipchat or similar communication tools
These things are a bonus:
- Hibernate / JPA
- Spring or Spring Boot
- Cassandra / Redis
Other Skills and Experiences:
- You have a degree in Computer Science with at least 5 years of experience
- You have outstanding problem solving and analytical skills
- You are a good communicator (written and verbal) and comfortable discussing software architecture for the features you’ll propose and be able to implement them
- Your ability to contribute to a technical discussion mirrors your ability to listen and learn from your peers
- You’ve got experience working on the full web application stack.
- You’re not a sysadmin but you know more than enough to be dangerous.