is North America's leading Maintenance Repair & Operating provider and we are the 10th largest North American E-commerce player with over 50% of our revenue coming from online transactions. Within the Platform Engineering team, we use technology to support the ever-changing and dynamic needs of a supply chain carrying 1.5 million products and an employee base of 25,000+; and we are committed to delivering technical solutions to support the business in its mission to stay atop. We deliver technology solutions across the enterprise including our call centers, branch network, sales, and our various digital channels. The team supports over 1000 applications across the network and operates in an agile environment to deliver complex solutions quickly and seamlessly. The team of 500+ is comprised of Infrastructure + Operations, Cyber Security, Technology Planning, Architecture and Engineering and are built in a way to support the dynamic and ever-changing customer landscape.Description
Grainger is looking for an experienced Systems Engineer to work in a fast-paced development environment. The qualified candidate will work collaboratively with Engineers, Architects and Analysts to develop product design and deliver solutions in a cloud environment. They work with Technical Product Managers by providing input into planning and execution of product roadmaps and backlog priorities.
Grainger's Platform Engineers are hybrid software/systems engineers who build, test, deploy, and support products, platforms and solutions. Our team is comprised of varying levels of experience and backgrounds, from new grads to industry veterans. Relevant industry experience is important (Site Reliability Engineer (SRE), Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Network Engineer, Systems Administrator, Linux Administrator, Database Administrator or similar role), but ultimately less so than your demonstrated abilities and attitude.
Working knowledge and certification in a cloud environment. Robust system monitoring setup using tools such as Splunk, Zenoss, Data Dog and Dynatrace. Excellent documentation skills a must. An individual working under this position will be expected to be able to perform typical day-to-day tasks autonomously, requiring assistance with only the most complex tasks.
- Engineering degree, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Vendor certification and/or training is expected but not required in cases of established experience.
- Experience with advanced System engineering/Architecture/Administration in a large and distributed environment
- Ability to demonstrate test driven development or related experience
- Experience with Linux (RHEL, CentOS) and / or MS Windows Server (2008 R2, 2012 R2, 2016 etc.) environments and the ability to build, configure, and maintain via a Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Solid understanding of cloud computing design and security principles
- Cloud-relevant (AWS, GCP, Azure) CLI Scripting
- Experience coding in higher-level languages (e.g., PHP, Python, C++, or Java)
- Demonstrated understanding / proficiency in application containerization, APIs or web services
- Knowledge of common DevOps tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, Git
- Knowledge of CI/CD principles and techniques
- Utilizing pipelines to build and deploy code and services
- Wide range of knowledge across IT disciplines including software, hardware, network engineering
- Demonstrable experience working on complex programs, projects, and large cross-functional teams
- Experience using orchestration tools/deploying infrastructure as code (eg Terraform, CloudFormation, etc)
- Documentation and training for support staff to turnover new development and engineering process or builds.
- Advance planning and execution for developed solutions from conception to decommission
"Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, or protected veteran status."