At Northwestern Mutual, we are strong, innovative and growing. We invest in our people. We care and make a positive difference.
What's the role?
We are looking for a Senior engineer to join our team. The role requires a dynamic agile engineering mindset, patience and persistence to solve complex problems, ability to get things done quickly but thoughtfully, and strong engineering skills.
A strategic thinker who can move between diverse tasks and bring out the best in everyone.
What you'll get to do:
- Apply engineering best practices to analyze, design, develop/deploy and support software solutions, and/or infrastructure implementations/upgrades
- Build day-to-day like a start-up - incrementally and iteratively - but with the security and resources of an enterprise budget
- Collaborate in a deeply cross-functional way with engineers and business partners - roll up your sleeves and brainstorm solutions and defect resolutions collaboratively
- Release to production early and often
- Get to know your end users - observe users firsthand working with the software and solicit and accept ideas and/or requests from them directly
- Test and learn - work with our business and other internal teams to identify problems, formulate hypotheses, and experiment with solutions
- Work with a talented, mission-driven, fun-loving team who values your input and your individuality
Who we are looking for
- Required -
- Technical Engineer
- 5+ years of Java application design/development experience
- Ability to solve technical, business and/or process related challenges
- Ability to collaborate with engineers/developers and product managers to establish a technical vision and turn it into reality
- Ability to provide technical direction to the team
- Work alongside architects and engineering managers to bring issues forward and propose improvement opportunities
- Ability to take ownership and work with others to drive it to completion
- Strong data background (define what this looks like) (consider) Strong understanding of data; including modeling, unstructured, movement, security, etc.
- Experience with relational and non-structured databases including SQL, modeling and light administration
- Ability to work with vendors, internal teams, etc. and coordinate work
- Ability to challenge the current state and provide a vision of the future state – be able to illustrate and articulate new solutions
- Ability to translate business and technical requirements into conceptualized solutions
- Strong problem-solving skills, ability to deal with ambiguity and apply critical thinking
- Ability to explain technical solutions to business partners and application owners
- Experience with Unix/Linux command & Korn shell scripting, Windows batch, power shell scripting, job scheduling on Unix/Linux and Windows
- Experience with SSL, SAML, HTTPS, REST, OAUTH2, Active Directory/Kerberos
- Nice to have -
- Experience with Anti Money Laundering (AML) tools
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Experience with cloud services and applicable uses, Unified Compute Platform, AWS or Azure
- Experience with Git Source Control and CI/CD pipeline
Grow your career with a best-in-class company that puts our client's interests at the center of all we do. Get started now!
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Req ID: 24883
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Desired
Employment Experience: 6-8 years
Licenses/Certifications: Not Applicable
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 03/15/2019