Sr Software Engineer - Maps
- Job Number: 99767128
- Santa Clara Valley, California, United States
- Posted: 21-Aug-2017
- Weekly Hours: 40.00
A job at Apple is unlike any other you’ve had. You’ll be challenged. You’ll be inspired. And you’ll be proud. The Maps Data team is looking for Hadoop experts to build systems to construct and extend a massive data warehouse of geo-spatial, location and behavioral data. These systems will unlock our data to enable innovations and applications using machine learning, data-mining and graph algorithms. With hundreds of millions of devices in our user’s hands, you will enable new experiences for millions of delighted users around the world.
- Strong object-oriented programming and design skills, preferably with Java/Scala, and/or C++
- Hadoop ecosystem expertise (HDFS/YARN/MapReduce)
- Experienced with stream processing technologies, such as Kafka, Spark Streaming, Samza, Esper, DataTorrent
- Experienced with Hadoop-based query engines, such as Impala, Presto, Shark, Drill, Tajo, Hive
- Able to wear multiple hats, do what it takes ability and attitude
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
The Maps Data team owns the platform and systems to represent a wide variety of map features for the entire globe, the pipelines to process and analyze many sources of geospatial data, as well as design and implement algorithms to identify anomalies, normalize and enhance the data that powers Apple Maps. In this role you'll be responsible for building Hadoop-based systems that enable sophisticated data mining, machine learning, and analysis of geospatial, location and behavioral data. Working closely with data scientists, you’ll develop a massively scalable system for ingesting, processing, decorating structured and semi-structured data from many sources, and organizing the primary and derived data to make it accessible and enable rapid iteration and deployment, for batch and near real-time applications.
- Masters or Ph.D. in computer science, or equivalent
Nice-to-have: - Bonus points for experience contributing to the above open-source projects - Experience in information retrieval and storage or machine learning, distributed computing is a plus - Fluency in geospatial domain