Alexa is the Amazon cloud service that powers Echo, the groundbreaking new Amazon device designed around your voice. We believe voice is the most natural user interface for interacting with technology across many domains; we are inventing the future. Alexa has opened the door for a next-generation intelligent assistant - and we are just getting started. The Alexa Engine team moves toward the vision of delivering the Star Trek computer to our customers – the world’s best intelligent personal assistant, accessible via natural voice commands on any connected device.
As a member of the team, you will be responsible for leading the development and launch of core product features. You will have significant influence on our overall strategy by helping define these product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product. You will be responsible for driving availability and optimizations across the teams in Alexa. Our Sr. SDEs do not just define the technical approach, but also have a seat at the table to help make the right product decisions. We are in uncharted territory for the whole industry and you will play a major role in defining and developing key milestones. We are working hard, having fun, and making history.
The ideal candidate is clearly passionate about new opportunities and has a demonstrable track record of success in delivering new features and products. A commitment to teamwork, hustle, and strong communication skills (to both business and technical partners) are absolute requirements. Creating reliable, scalable, and high performance products requires exceptional technical expertise, a sound understanding of the fundamentals of Computer Science, and practical experience building large-scale distributed systems. This person has thrived and succeeded in delivering high quality technology products/services in a hyper-growth environment where priorities shift fast.
You are a talented, detail-oriented, and enthusiastic Sr Software Development Engineer who is passionate about the customer and loves architecting and building great new systems. You will have the opportunity to contribute your creative ideas and energy to Alexa Engine. Duties include research, design, and implementation of new systems and software algorithms, testing their best ideas against Amazon's legions of customers, and being a key part of delivering a great new system/service. You will also have the opportunity to mentor junior engineers and drive software engineering best practices across the organization.
· 8+ year’s industry experience as a Software Engineer with 4+ years as a Senior Engineer leading teams in an agile environment.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or a related technical discipline.
· A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals (object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis).
· Experience developing and maintaining production software.
· Advanced coding skills (concurrency, profiling and performance optimization).
· Designed and built complex systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling).
· Experience in basic data manipulation and analysis, including command-line tools and scripting.
· The ability to take raw product requirements and develop software architectures and designs to bring them to life.
· Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs.
· Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability.
· Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
· Experience influencing software engineers best practices within your team
· Strong written and verbal communication skills with peers and non-technical cohorts
· Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
· Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
· OO design/development skills and have experience driving projects from concept to prototype, and finally implementation
· You have an entrepreneurial streak and like to understand how the entire business works and the long-term vision.
· Results oriented, analytical, with a strong customer, and business focus.
· Ability to communicate and discuss technical topics with both technical and business audiences.
· Highly innovative, self-directed and able to deal well with ambiguous problems.
· Strong sense of ownership, with a passion for software and continuous learning.