Sr. Software Developer – Commercial Applications
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
The Sr. Software Developer position will work with a number of commercial applications (with a focus on sales compensation) to develop, support and manage commercial initiatives and related technical projects. Additionally, the position will serve as the lead for technical development activities related to supporting business requirements for sales compensation processes.
- Configure sales compensation system (Varicent (aka IBM Cognos ICM)) application to successfully construct the required solution
- Design system architecture, data model, information flow, input and output configuration and reports.
- Identify table needs and design
- Present solutions that are consistent with the architecture and application design
- Write and test calculations in accordance with the application framework
- Assist the customer in making decisions to properly and creatively utilize features to meet the customer’s needs
- Complete needs / requirements analysis and recommend cost effective and justifiable solutions; interact with customers regarding business requirements
- Prepare estimates and develops project plans. Communicates project status regularly to the Project Management team; coordinate and communicate with project manager and other project resources
- Coordinate interaction with internal departments in the areas of procurement, kick-off meetings or conference calls, resource assignment and hand-off meetings or conference calls.
- Diagnose and resolve technical issues as they are reported. Provide technical consultation to other IT groups.
- Support system availability (tier 1 support) on a rotating basis.
- Participate in vendor evaluations and provide recommendations.
- Contribute to the development of new functionality and design capabilities
- Assist with the installation and configuration of software applications in accordance with specifications
- Develop, implement, support and maintain the sales compensation system
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor Degree in technical or business area and 5 years of experience in computer business applications and data modeling/management (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Expertise with complete application development lifecycle;
- Expertise with Microsoft SQL Server programming (SQL procedures and functions); knowledge of data mapping and ETL tools
- Experience with process analysis, process re-engineering, project management and data conversion including translations and transformations (or equivalent combination of education and experience) is strongly preferred
- Self-motivated, ability to work independently/proactively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with different levels of management, as well as both business and technical departments
- Proficiency in diverse facets of business analysis, including Business Process Mapping, Data Architecture, Technical Architecture, and Workflow Analysis.
- Solid understanding of diverse environments and components - mainframe, Unix, Windows, database, networks, etc.
- Goal-oriented team leader adept at building strong relationships with coworkers and customers
- Knowledge, understanding and experience with Java Script is a plus
- Knowledge and experience with Sales Compensation systems, practices and functionality is a plus
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Must have strong customer service acumen
- Willingness and ability to learn new technologies in support of the job