Site Reliability Engineer
Varian is seeking a Site Reliability Engineer in support of our Enterprise Enablement global business. IT Operations goal is to provide operational good practices and support for the operations, maintenance, and refinement of Varian's Cloud environment and services. Provide execution support for migrating new and legacy applications and services to the cloud, and continuous improvement of Varian's Cloud infrastructure. The candidate will support Varian's cloud operations to enhance, optimize, and maintain computing capabilities across the technical landscape. This includes collaboration with many teams including Architecture and Infrastructure Operations, DevOps, Product Management and Security. Understanding application and infrastructure current state and working to identify, categorize, prioritize and analyze data and information to work into cloud migration action plans. Working with the larger project teams to migrate legacy applications to their cloud platform. The Site Reliability Engineer must have expertise with Cloud Service Providers (CSPs), Microsoft Azure & AWS.
Key responsibilities include;
Partnering with engineering teams to automate & optimize service availability, scalability, performance, monitoring & alerting. Provide your expertise toward site, application, and infrastructure efficiency.
- Educating & empowering service teams to think operationally when designing services.
- Maintaining, recommending, implementing, improving tools and process to automate much of the manual work required to keep a SaaS offering highly available, scalable, and resilient.
- Ensuring resilient and self-scaling systems so that you can sleep through the night even in case of instance failure.
- Identify/create/procure/refine tools or process to help quickly triage issues and identify opportunities to improve deployments, scalability, performance. Prevent problems from re-occurring.
- Work with distributed teams to ensure that components are properly instrumented to be reliably used, monitored, and debugged in the service.
In this role, the viable candidate will need to be able to develop strong partnership relationships with:
Our global enterprise product portfolio team within Varian IT to collect and define technical requirements to ensure all are understood and incorporated aligned with the business objectives.
- Information security and data privacy team to ensure compliance objectives are known and achieved within the system designs.
- Software engineering DevOps organization as we leverage cloud Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) technologies and surrounding security implications.
- Varian IT for network, storage, data center, virtualization and other services.
Specific training, skills and experience needed to perform the job typically requires five (5) years of experience. Requires a bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of implementation and support of common three tier Microsoft centric application platforms (Web front end, application, and MSSQL servers).
- 5 years of IT experience in integrating enterprise business applications.
- Deep understanding of configuration management and automation tools. eg; Anisible, Salt, Puppet etc..
- Git version control system experience is a plus.
- Cloud services and associated security demands of Azure or AWS
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them to technology solutions.
- Strong communication, organization, problem solving and diagnostics skills.
- Ability to communicate up, down, and across the organization is paramount to this role's success and impact within the company.
- Proven ability to transfer knowledge and stay aware of current trends and technical advancements.
- Knowledge of VMware, 7 modern operating systems
- Experience with cloud deployment and service models.
- Experience with security principles, techniques and protocols.