About the Role
Responsible for strategically directing, managing and coordinating Design Center activities, including development of long range goals and objectives. Continually review costs, execution and procedures to ensure progress toward slated goals and objectives. Interfaces as a strategic partner with staff, SBU Senior Management team and other company management on initiatives and programs. Effectively represent site and geographical region for strategic purposes. Appropriately own and drive management initiatives.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Develop effective customer escalation relationships to ensure customer project success for Design Center, including financial, schedule, quality and customer perceptions. Work with Plexus Sector (or regional) Representation to effectively balance customer advocacy and Plexus P&L.
- Ensure appropriate personnel development for both technical and leadership development (including site succession planning), including site leadership team.
- Effectively work with all other Design Centers. This includes sharing of best practices, promoting work sharing to balance operational load and achieve regional strategies, and ensuring PLXS-ENG overall success.
- Effectively manage Design Center P&L including forecasting and planning of revenue and expenses (includes headcount and capital expenditure investments).
- Work with PLXS-ENG leadership to determine vision and strategic direction of PLXS-ENG, including appropriate support and leadership of corporate initiatives. Create and Drive Design Center vision and culture and ensure that it supports the Plexus and PLXS-ENG overall mission and vision.
- Fosters and actively cultivates a Lean Sigma culture through promotion of the Lean philosophy, support of and direct participation in Lean Sigma activities (including RIEs and Report-outs), and application of the tools (including but not limited to A3, DMAIC, Value Stream Mapping, 5S, etc.).
- Develop the strategic plan necessary to implement the Design Center vision. This includes staff technical mix planning, growth planning, organizational structure, infrastructure, facility and financial planning.
- Drive the objectives process throughout the Design Center. Ensure each group sets meaningful, achievable objectives and that progress is made toward achieving the objectives.
- Work with the sector teams to identify and develop target customer/opportunities that are consistent with the sales and technology goals of the Design Center, to ensure that revenue and technology goals for the site are met.
- Support contract negotiation as needed. Work with Plexus Legal and manufacturing operations to ensure that contracts are negotiated in a timely manner and are consistent with the business goals of Plexus.
- Work with the site leadership team and Human Resources to develop Design Center growth plans that are consistent with the Design Center Strategic Plan.
- Approve personnel requisitions and ensure thy meet the growth plan, are necessary given current economic conditions, and are fiscally responsible.
- Own the Design Center Succession Plan and support the wider Engineering Solutions leadership needs to ensure that the company is adequately developing management bench strength.
- Conduct direct report performance appraisals and assist with career development plans. Identify and recommend continuing education and training needs for existing and new staff members. This training should develop corporate skills, as well as consider the individual's skills and background.
- Work with Director of Engineering to ensure that the Design Center staff develops key technologies and maintain technology superiority.
- Assist in the development of project teams with input from the Functional Managers, Project Managers, Director of Project Management and the Director of Engineering Ensure design complexity, customer strategic importance, and team experience is properly balanced.
- Review and approve payment terms for new customers to ensure that a proper balance between sales and risk is maintained.
- Participate in employee, intra-project, and customer conflict resolution. Support the Director of Project Management and Project Managers at project crisis meetings.
- Ensure Design Center process quality through quality guideline revisions, development of corrective actions, planning of continuous improvement, and support of the CAPA process.
- Ensure customer satisfaction through review of customer satisfaction surveys and participation in customer meetings.
- Represent the Design Center at Quality Management Reviews.
- Communicate Design Center and corporate financial performance and operational information to all Design Center staff. Minimal travel may be required to meet the needs of the business (estimated 25%).
Skills & Abilities
- Advanced decision making and problem solving skills
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Possess strong team building skills
- Strong management skills and knowledge of management principles
- Possess good organizational, presentation, and leadership skills
- Ability to handle demanding schedules and conflicting priorities
- Possess strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Intermediate computer skills with literacy in Microsoft Office suite
Education & Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required for this position; a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from an accredited college is preferred
- A minimum of five years of experience in a product development environment with a preference for project management experience is required for this position, assuming education requirements are met