As a part of the core services in the state Traffic Management Program, this position is responsible to respond to a host of traffic congestion challenges that occur on Virginia's highways.
Specific day to day duties will include:
- Development of coordinated traffic signal timing plans for signal systems.
- Development of signal operation diversion plans in anticipation of the incident contingencies.
- Development of protocols for implementing signal timing changes in response to incident and congestion.
- Assist in developing agreements and relationships with cities, towns and counties.
- Serve as liaison with the Signal Operations Center to communicate changing traffic conditions, planned lane and roadway closures, major incidents within and outside their regions that affect flow, planned special events, and other scenarios that require the attention of the Signal Operations Center staff.
Candidates should possess a Professional Engineer (P.E.) License from the Commonwealth of Virginia, or have the ability to acquire one within 6months, a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil, Electrical or Systems Engineering and 6-10years of experience in traffic engineering with at least 5years in traffic signal operations, the ability to exercise considerable independent judgment in performing moderate to complex traffic signal timing strategies.
A Master of Science degree may be considered as substitute for years of experience.
Additional desiredqualifications include:
- Application of traffic signal models- preferably Syncho
- Experience with microscopic traffic simulation models
- Hands-on experience with making field adjustments to traffic signal controllers, loop detector amplifiers, and other traffic signal equipment and devices in traffic signal controller cabinets.
- Knowledgeable of arterial operations and traffic signal management
- Good problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships