Microsoft Cloud Hardware Infrastructure Engineering (CHIE) is the team behind Microsoft's expanding Cloud Infrastructure and responsible for powering Microsoft's "Intelligent Cloud" mission. CHIE delivers the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform globally with our server and data center infrastructure, security and compliance, operations, globalization, and manageability solutions.
Our focus is on smart growth, high efficiency, and delivering a trusted experience to customers and partners worldwide and we are looking for passionate, high energy engineers to help achieve that mission. As Microsoft's cloud business continues to grow the ability to deploy new offerings and HW infrastructure on time, in high volume with high quality and lowest cost is of paramount importance. To achieve this goal, the Cloud AI & Advanced Systems Engineering (CAASE) team is instrumental in defining and delivering operational measures of success for hardware manufacturing, improving the planning process, quality, delivery, scale and sustainability related to Microsoft cloud hardware. We are looking for seasoned engineers with a strong passion for customer focused solutions, insight and industry knowledge to envision and implement future technical solutions that will manage and optimize the Cloud infrastructure.
We are looking for a Senior Signal Integrity Engineer
to join the team.
#CAASE #AZURE #Cloud #SignalIntegrityResponsibilities:
- Work in laboratory environment to validate design and correlate measurement with simulation using VNA, TDR and Oscilloscope.
- Provide development input to design teams, create electrical product models and documentation
- Sponsor in-house and independent lab testing or additional connector/cable assembly qualification testing
- Perform high-speed empirical and analytical signal integrity evaluation of interconnects, PCBs, and chip packages.
- Collaborate with board design team and PCB vendors to document design rule best practices, define pinouts, and propose stackups
- Support silicon design team to review package design, including stackup, bump/ball assignment, and simulation results
- Work cross-functionally with IC designers, Layout engineers, board designers, thermal engineers and test/characterization team to plan and architect the power delivery and Signal integrity needs of packages and PCBs
- High speed channel simulations for low BER and transient simulation for SI and PI
- Detailed understanding of s-parameters, Smith Chart and frequency domain analysis
- BS in Electrical Engineering or related + 10 years of experience, or MS + 8 years of experience, or Ph.D. + 5 years of experience
- 10+ years of industry experience with Board Post Simulation Level and high-speed circuit design, test, and integration
- Strong understanding of Electromagnetic fundamentals and transmission line theory
- Fundamental knowledge of the following HW design principals: Signal Integrity, Power, Analog and Digital Design, Computer Architecture
- Understanding of jitter and how it impacts the design in the system environment
- Able to navigate in layout tools used for PCB and Packages
- Experience developing HW component and system level specifications
- Experience developing HW verification and functional test plans
- Experience working across disciplines and organizations to resolve complex issues
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Nice To Have
- Understanding of different IEEE and Optical standards to define design guidelines
- Understanding of different TX/RX circuit designs and how SI/PI impacts such circuits
- Expertise in equalization techniques such as FIR, CTLE, DFE, FFE and different types of noise in the system and channels and how to optimize EQ settings to mitigate them
- Experience in chip/package/PCB co-design
- Working knowledge of mechanical and thermal system design considerations
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form .
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.